What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Location could not be determined

nightowl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of the sudden either in Google maps or Apple Maps I get a notification “Location Cannot Be Determined”. And if it does access location is shows me about a quarter-mile away at The closest neighbors house. I live out in the sticks, my iPad only connects to Wi-Fi. It doesn’t pick up the neighbors Wi-Fi.
At the same time with my Android phone connected to the same Wi-Fi Google maps open it shows me right at my house.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A wi-fi only iPad determins it’s location by whatever nearby wi-fi networks it can detect and a database of where those networks are located. If you’ve recenlty changed some aspect of your own wi-fi network (router, name, etc.) it’s possible that Apple’s database no longer has an entry. Or it could have been lost for other reasons.

Apple collects the wi-fi database using annonimized information gathered by cellular capable devices (among other methods). If you or others in your family have cellular iPads or iPhones, the database should eventually correct itself.

As for your Android phone, it does not matter what wi-fi it is connected to. All phones have a GPS, and it works weither they are connected to the internet or cellular service or not (though it’s a lot faster with an internet or cellular connection).

Unfortuanately, location data on your Android phone isn’t likely to make it’s way to Apple’s database.

Still, try powering your iPad off, then on again (Hold down the power button untill it the Slide to Shutdown slider appears). It might just be a glitch.

OP
N

nightowl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A wi-fi only iPad determins it’s location by whatever nearby wi-fi networks it can detect and a database of where those networks are located. If you’ve recenlty changed some aspect of your own wi-fi network (router, name, etc.) it’s possible that Apple’s database no longer has an entry. Or it could have been lost for other reasons.

Apple collects the wi-fi database using annonimized information gathered by cellular capable devices (among other methods). If you or others in your family have cellular iPads or iPhones, the database should eventually correct itself.

As for your Android phone, it does not matter what wi-fi it is connected to. All phones have a GPS, and it works weither they are connected to the internet or cellular service or not (though it’s a lot faster with an internet or cellular connection).

Unfortuanately, location data on your Android phone isn’t likely to make it’s way to Apple’s database.

Still, try powering your iPad off, then on again (Hold down the power button untill it the Slide to Shutdown slider appears). It might just be a glitch.
I reset my router and restored my iPad, still shows me over quarter mile away or cannot find my location. I took it to someone else's house, connected to their Wi-Fi and it was pretty accurate. Brought somebody else's iPad to my house and connected to the Wi-Fi, "location cannot be determined".
I googled the problem and it seems like that is quite common with some iPhones and iPads.

Most reactions

Latest posts