What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

location based reminder in ios5?

ronwong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dont see this option available? i turned on sync for reminder in icloud, but there still only reminder by time and not location? is there some prerequisite?

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dont see this option available? i turned on sync for reminder in icloud, but there still only reminder by time and not location? is there some prerequisite?
I have a feeling this only works on the new phones/iPad2, as it doesn't work on my iPhone 3GS

OP
R

ronwong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tested, i tried on an ipad2 and iphone 4s, it only show up n the 4s.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Location based reminders were removed from the iPad during the iOS 5 beta cycle. The geo fence was not accurate enough. They may come back if Apple can come up with a way to monitor the location as cheap as with the geo fence in the iPhone 4.

OP
R

ronwong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
assume that they are taking wifi only ipad2s into consideration, becuase 3G ipad2s should not be much difference with an iphone.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPhone 4 includes a new technology package that allows the phone to know where it is without constantly firing up the GPS. This active geo-fence is what makes location based reminders work without draining the battery. It's only on the 4 and 4S, which is what those phones support location based reminders and the other devices currently do not.

With the assisted GPS tech on the 3GS and iPad, using both cellular pings and wifi addresses, this is also possible, however in the iOS 5 beta it was not accurate enough in use.

I suspect they are still working on a software fix, but as usual Apple has not made any public feature statements.

Most reactions

Latest posts