What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locate music files in ipad2

vtsrikanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I subscribed to a service which allows off line play of music. I presume that this means that the music is downloaded somewhere in my iPad 2 but I am not sure the format of these files. The music files are not seen in iTunes library and I tried to search in my iPad 2 without success. Can anyone tell me how to locate music files in iPad 2.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Music downloaded from iTunes is placed in the iPad's iPod app - so you need to look there. But several music download sites have their own special app. If it's an mp3 file, for example, there are several apps that could play this. But usually this would be downloaded from within the app - since Safari, for example, cannot download music files - such as mp3 tracks.

Tim

OP
V

vtsrikanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim for the note. Is there a way of extracting such a download and add iTunes library.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To get music to the iTunes library you need to do so on the computer that you sync with. Just download the file on that computer, then drag it into iTunes. Depending on how you have your iTunes music set to sync, it will transfer to the iPad the next time you sync.

There are a few ways to bypass iTunes to sync/add music to the iPod app on the iPad, but they all require a computer (so far as I know). They also tend confuse iTunes, which means you have to go about it right, and I don't have enough experience to give advice or how-tos for those solutions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, you can also always go with a third party music player like OPlayer. They have their own methods of importing music. You can even email the files to the iPad.

OP
V

vtsrikanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello thanks! I tried to instal and I realized that it's a player that actually helps in establishing access to the computer. Actually what I am looking for is a kind of "finder" or " path finder" that lists all the files that resides in the iPad. As I explained earlier I have several music files downloaded through an app, but I cannot locate them in the iPad. Any solutions for this

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
vtsrikanth said:
Hello thanks! I tried to instal and I realized that it's a player that actually helps in establishing access to the computer. Actually what I am looking for is a kind of "finder" or " path finder" that lists all the files that resides in the iPad. As I explained earlier I have several music files downloaded through an app, but I cannot locate them in the iPad. Any solutions for this

What app did you use to download them? They should be stored in that app.

OP
V

vtsrikanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, it's called latest 100s an app that offers a list of songs for live streaming. However with a subscription the music is available off line. I am able to play songs with that app however I am not able to a playlist of my own or sort the sequence.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the piece of the puzzle you are missing vtsrikanth is that you do not and cannot have unrestricted access to the iPad file system as standard. Apple just do not allow this. So you cannot, for example, offline sync tracks from spotify and then just pick them up off your iPad file system and import them into your iTunes (which strictly speaking would also be illegal AFAIK!).
Once you jailbreak an iPad you do get full file system access, however there is no iPad2 jailbreak just yet.

So, what you are talking about doing on the iPad2, as of today anyway, is impossible as things stand.

Hope that helps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think I've found it in the App Store. It does say it supports online play, however that will be something done in the app, not in the iPod app.

If you can not figure it out contact the app developers. You can find support links on the app's description page in the App Store.

Most reactions