What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loading your DVDs to the ipad

hill10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am new here and thinking of buying the ipad this week. How easy is it to load your dvds on to the ipad so as to watch ie plane journey etc

astral

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my ipad2 for the same reason and its quite easy to do, however to make it really simple its best to get a third party program to rip and convert your dvd's , as you may have found out copying a dvd to a computer can be troublesome due to the copy protection but there are many programs you can get that will circumvent this.
Once you have the dvd stored on your computer its just a matter of getting a media player that can play the dvd format on your ipad (ipads use mp4* not the usual dvd standard) There are a few media players that you can find on the apps store that will play the dvd (flexplayer is a free app that does ) but i prefer to convert and play through the Videos app that comes with your ipad, Personally i use Aiseesoft Ipad suite its a paid for windows/mac program but its cheap powerfull and can rip and convert dvds in one step,it also gives options to convert chapters individually (great for music dvds )or add titles and stuff. i have heard there are free programs with the same functions .Although i may have made this sound complicated it really isnt just load a dvd hit the button then save to itunes and sync your ipad, If you have the capability to already rip dvd's to a computer then you just need the ipad and flexplayer youll be watching movies in 15 minutes. Best way to look at it is its much the same as loading music to an ipod, just rip and convert.
I should also say im not an expert at any of this i have only had my ipad for two weeks and this is just how ive worked out how to watch movies on my way to work there may be an even easier way that some of the experts on this site can help you with but i thought id answer just to let you know even a newbie like me can work out how to do it, it must be simple!

Last edited by a moderator:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hill10 said:
Hi Guys
I am new here and thinking of buying the ipad this week. How easy is it to load your dvds on to the ipad so as to watch ie plane journey etc

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a Community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the IPad.
There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions that you have. If then you can't find the answer you are seeking, then by all means post your question. You will find many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the iPad Manuals is a great place to start, so please download a copy of these http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I should also say im not an expert at any of this i have only had my ipad for two weeks and this is just how ive worked out how to watch movies on my way to work there may be an even easier way that some of the experts on this site can help you with but i thought id answer just to let you know even a newbie like me can work out how to do it, it must be simple!

Astral What a brilliant write up you've done and from a Newbie no less. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H

hill10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for the informative answer, and the kind welcome

Thanks Paul

Last edited:

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
Welcome to the forums :)

If you have a Mac, I think you will find a lot of people (me included) will use Handbrake for DVD ripping. It's a free application, and has presets for generating video output compatible with iPhone/iPad/ATV etc. Very easy to use.

HandBrake

OP
H

hill10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :)

If you have a Mac, I think you will find a lot of people (me included) will use Handbrake for DVD ripping. It's a free application, and has presets for generating video output compatible with iPhone/iPad/ATV etc. Very easy to

Thanks but I am Windows

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to butt in here, but I'm new as well. Are you saying that if I download Handbrake to my Mac, and flex player to my iPad, that I'll be bale to copy my DVD's to iTunes, and then play them on my iPad? is it as simple as that? or am I being naive?

OP
H

hill10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have coverted the DVD into mpeg 4 its gone into itunes and it highlights when the boxes are ticked but it will not Sync and go on to the ipad

Boldie24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Waterbabies said:
Sorry to butt in here, but I'm new as well. Are you saying that if I download Handbrake to my Mac, and flex player to my iPad, that I'll be bale to copy my DVD's to iTunes, and then play them on my iPad? is it as simple as that? or am I being naive?

Even easier, you don't have to use the flex player on the iPad (i will have to look at though). I use Handbrake to rip DVD, drop into iTunes, and sync to my iPad. I just view through movies on the iPad. Works great.

Sent from my iPad2, 32gb 3G

Traquy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a free activation from a friend for Slysoft CloneDVDMobile and it works great! I just rip my DVD to ipad or iphone format and move it over to itunes, then sync.

VR3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing. I've tried handbrake on my PC and it's taken over 6 hr to convert to mp4. Is it just me or is Anyone else having this problem?

Most reactions

Latest posts