1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Loading your DVDs to the ipad

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by hill10, Nov 20, 2011.

1. hill10

hill10 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Guys
    I am new here and thinking of buying the ipad this week. How easy is it to load your dvds on to the ipad so as to watch ie plane journey etc
  2. astral

astral iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought my ipad2 for the same reason and its quite easy to do, however to make it really simple its best to get a third party program to rip and convert your dvd's , as you may have found out copying a dvd to a computer can be troublesome due to the copy protection but there are many programs you can get that will circumvent this.
    Once you have the dvd stored on your computer its just a matter of getting a media player that can play the dvd format on your ipad (ipads use mp4* not the usual dvd standard) There are a few media players that you can find on the apps store that will play the dvd (flexplayer is a free app that does ) but i prefer to convert and play through the Videos app that comes with your ipad, Personally i use Aiseesoft Ipad suite its a paid for windows/mac program but its cheap powerfull and can rip and convert dvds in one step,it also gives options to convert chapters individually (great for music dvds )or add titles and stuff. i have heard there are free programs with the same functions .Although i may have made this sound complicated it really isnt just load a dvd hit the button then save to itunes and sync your ipad, If you have the capability to already rip dvd's to a computer then you just need the ipad and flexplayer youll be watching movies in 15 minutes. Best way to look at it is its much the same as loading music to an ipod, just rip and convert.
    I should also say im not an expert at any of this i have only had my ipad for two weeks and this is just how ive worked out how to watch movies on my way to work there may be an even easier way that some of the experts on this site can help you with but i thought id answer just to let you know even a newbie like me can work out how to do it, it must be simple!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  3. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,284 / 0
    Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a Community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the IPad.
    There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions that you have. If then you can't find the answer you are seeking, then by all means post your question. You will find many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users It is a very simple app to navigate.
    Reading the iPad Manuals is a great place to start, so please download a copy of these http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
    A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
    We have rules like any Community so please read these also
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  4. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,284 / 0
    Astral What a brilliant write up you've done and from a Newbie no less. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  5. idave23

idave23 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    +1
    Copying and pasting as we speak.:thumbs:
  6. hill10

hill10 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many thanks for the informative answer, and the kind welcome

Thanks Paul
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  7. JezzerP

JezzerP iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Welcome to the forums :)

If you have a Mac, I think you will find a lot of people (me included) will use Handbrake for DVD ripping. It's a free application, and has presets for generating video output compatible with iPhone/iPad/ATV etc. Very easy to use.

HandBrake
  8. hill10

hill10 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks but I am Windows
  9. Waterbabies

Waterbabies iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Sorry to butt in here, but I'm new as well. Are you saying that if I download Handbrake to my Mac, and flex player to my iPad, that I'll be bale to copy my DVD's to iTunes, and then play them on my iPad? is it as simple as that? or am I being naive?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Good karma

Good karma iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    Some great info here

RIP Steve Jobs 
  11. hill10

hill10 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Guys
    I have coverted the DVD into mpeg 4 its gone into itunes and it highlights when the boxes are ticked but it will not Sync and go on to the ipad
  12. Boldie24

Boldie24 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Even easier, you don't have to use the flex player on the iPad (i will have to look at though). I use Handbrake to rip DVD, drop into iTunes, and sync to my iPad. I just view through movies on the iPad. Works great.

Sent from my iPad2, 32gb 3G
  13. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    Cucusoft

rip, move to itunes, sync. Viola, easy as pie.
  14. Traquy

Traquy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a free activation from a friend for Slysoft CloneDVDMobile and it works great! I just rip my DVD to ipad or iphone format and move it over to itunes, then sync.
  15. VR3

VR3 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've tried handbrake on my PC and it's taken over 6 hr to convert to mp4. Is it just me or is Anyone else having this problem?
  16. sir_ben

sir_ben iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have used handbrake before and the encoding time depends on a number of factors. First and foremost is your PC. If it has older hardware then converting will surely take a long time. Next is the quality of your source video. Then there are other settings that might contribute to this. When I converted some of my videos to iPad format using handbrake, I opted to stay within the default settings. The only modification I did was to add the subtitles. The videos I converted where episodes of a Korean Drama and each episode is at 720p and each episode is about an hour in length. The conversion time for each episode is around 30 mins each.
  17. Waterbabies

Waterbabies iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yes they do seem to take a long time for me as well, but if it works, that's fine by me!
    However, going back in this thread, I have handbraked them, put them in iTunes on my Mac, synced the iPad, but I can't find them in the "Music" on my iPad, and can't find my iTunes anywhere but in the music. They don't show up I'm videos. Only the ones I've downloaded from the iTunes store are showing up there. I can move them into Flexplayer though, and play them that way, so it's not the end of the world.
  18. hill10

hill10 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All the free video converters tend to have the watermark on playback which is a bit of a pain. Cannot seem to find a free one that is watermark free
  19. MrLuke

MrLuke iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I've always used handbrake to rip DVDs. It's pretty self explanatory but if you do have problems there are lots of tuts on the web. I did have problems getting round copyprotection but a program called 'anydvd' can circumvent that so its not a problem. As for coding time my computers pretty slow. When I recently ripped 2 DVDs I had to leave my laptop on all day in order to get them done.
    Hope this helps someone :).
  20. hill10

hill10 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Guys
    I found a free DVD Ripper with no watermarks and its fine WinX DVD Ripper