What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loading Software

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
The only programs and software you can install and put onto your iPad are those you purchase in Apple's AppStore. If those files you mentioned were acquired from the AppStore then you can sync them over via iTunes

Last edited:

james4133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a couple of family history/genealogy Apps in the app store that mint do what you need, depending on what PC program you use and the format for your files.

There is GedView, which will open up GEDCOM format files, there is Reunion for iPad, and there is Families, which works with Legacy Family Tree. I haven't used any of these, but they may work.

There is also an Ancestry.com app.

Just search for genealogy in the app store to find all these and others.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I use GedView exclusively and am very happy with it. You'll need to download the GedView app and then import your .ged to the app. When you first start up GedView you'll get the "About" page which will allow you to import your Gedcom file. Every bit of my research is now available to me on my iPad. Very handy.

tecwritr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used Family Tree Maker on my PC for years. I download the app and then logged on to my Ancestry.com account. My entire 7000 name family tree was loaded on to my iPad with all photos and documents. I use my iPad now rather than my PC.

OP
F

Fredb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Programms on Computer

Thanks for all help but how do I load a program in "My Documents" onto my i Pad keep it simple I am new to it

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all help but how do I load a program in "My Documents" onto my i Pad keep it simple I am new to it

A program from your PC cannot operate on the iPad. They are completely different devices. No PC program will run on the iPad, unless the developer writes a completely new version specifically for the iPad.

Tim

OP
F

Fredb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Books on i Pad

Sorry to be late but last weekend the Daily telgraph in Uk produce a free book
Essential Guide to i Pda on Sunday came out part 2
The 250 best apps

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to be late but last weekend the Daily telgraph in Uk produce a free book
Essential Guide to i Pda on Sunday came out part 2
The 250 best apps

Those apps will be available from the iPad App Store. Just go to the iPad Home Screen, click on App Store and then search for the app that you're interested in. Some may be free, others you will need to pay for. Whether they're free or not, you'll need an iTunes account to be able to download them, but you probably have one already, so there shouldn't be any problem.

Tim

mrichson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used Family Tree Maker on my PC for years. I download the app and then logged on to my Ancestry.com account. My entire 7000 name family tree was loaded on to my iPad with all photos and documents. I use my iPad now rather than my PC.

Ancestry says my Family Treemaker file is larger than the allowed size for uploading to their site. When I try to upload my file, I'm told there's a 75 Mb limit, but my file is about 115 Mb. Sooo....I'm unable to access my database from afar, particularly my iPad.

Talked with Ancestry customer service this afternoon. After conferring with a supervisor, she told me I was SOL -- that my only recourse for backup is something personal, like an external hard drive (which I already use) or a cloud service (which I have access to). But that only solves my backup issue and does nothing for access from other devices like my iPad.

Then I called Family Treemaker tech support. Nice guy but totally unfamiliar with the 75 Mb restriction, so he checked with another tech. Now I'm told that the 75 Mb restriction only applies to earlier versions of Family Treemaker, e.g., version 16, which I'm using. And if I upgrade to FTM 2012, there's no restriction on the size of the file that I can upload. All these little details are undocumented as far as I can tell. Looks like a sneaky way to get me to upgrade my FTM. I was offered a discount to upgrade -- no surprise there!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts