What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loading Books Using itunes

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just curious...if I use iTunes to load my books into my ipad2...
I have all my books in a folder on my computer. And I use this one particular folder to store all my books that are loaded into iTunes, and ready t load into my ipad.
Now, If I was to move these books to another folder on my computer, or even a different drive - would I loose these books from my ipad when I do my next sync?
Or would the books still remain on the ipad regardless of where the folder or drive is?
Thank you

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't know the answer to this question (as I let iTunes manage the content - I don't keep files separate from iTunes).

Have a look at this article: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

In paragraph 9, it would appear that yes, it might cause an issue. If iTunes "loses track" of a file, then it might decide that file is no longer to be synced with the iPad. Again, this is a guess on my part.

The article talks about how you can consolidate your files to be within iTunes alone. You can always access them for other-than-iTunes purposes, but overall, it may be easier?

Regardless, I find this article to be very helpful in understanding how iTunes works. Hopefully you can glean from it enough info to answer your question (or guide you further in your research)...

Marilyn

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you - just took a quick glance at the article and it seems to have a lot of information.
Thanks again

Last edited:

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As of iOS 7, iTunes only syncs audiobooks.
iBooks, Texts, eBooks, and PDFs, are now handled by iBooks.

I find it simple to send movies, texts, Keynotes, and Pages documents to the iPad via Dropbox.

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As of iOS 7, iTunes only syncs audiobooks.
iBooks, Texts, eBooks, and PDFs, are now handled by iBooks.

I find it simple to send movies, texts, Keynotes, and Pages documents to the iPad via Dropbox.

I believe the Windows version of iTunes still handles all iBooks features; since the desktop iBooks reading app is only available on OS X. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Even on OS X with iBooks installed, the sync settings are still in iTunes under the Books tab; when the iPad is connected and selected. Buying, adding, deleting, or managing your iBooks has to be done in the new iBooks app. You won't find the Books library in iTunes.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ooops. That did not seem to be working, but I checked, and now I see that iTunes still can send PDF and other texts to the iPad. Thanks for the heads up.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the problem of syncing my iMac iBooks with my iPad iBooks. I use the same Apple ID on both but it doesn't seem to sync when I want or not at all.
Any clues?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. So for it's worked fine for me, though I haven't been syncing much.

Hold in mind that if you are side loading books, it probably works the same as iTunes used to. You need to add them on the computer side first. Books added using Open In on the iPad will not sync back to the Mac.

golddust34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try using another cloud file sharing app like Skydrive. You'll need a Microsoft email address first of all (go to www.outlook.com to create one). Then go to the App Store and get the Skydrive and iBooks apps installed on your iPad. On your computer, learn how to use Skydrive Getting started with SkyDrive - Microsoft Windows. Get your epub files uploaded. On your iPad open Skydrive to the epub files. Click on the file to open it. At the bottom right of the screen is a symbol that looks like three circles. Click on that and you will get a selection of options to open the file - iBooks should be one. If you have the Nook app installed, that will be there also ( if your files are mobi for Kindle get the Kindle app installed and it works the same way). I know you posted this a while back, but the alternative is much easier than that blasted iTunes. I tried that first and like this much better. As long as the files are on the Skydrive site, you don't have to worry about moving them around.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh - hey that sounds like something that I may have to try out.
I've been kind of lucky this last little while, my wife started to read a series and didn't want me to fool around with her ipad till she finished.
I'm still waiting for her to finish and let me have the ipad.
But in the meantime I will look at Skydrive and as you suggested - learn how to use it.
Thank you very much

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDF from Mac to iPad

The way I see it... Now that I got it to work...
Ok, the main application for books on the Mac is iBooks. My goal was to have PDF files that I created available on the iPad in the iPad iBooks app. I got them on board via several attempts, but didn't know why it worked or didn't work.
This seems way seems to always work:
1. Drop the PDF onto the iBooks app in the Dock. iBooks will import it into the iBooks Library
2. Open iTunes
3. Connect the iPad
4. Open the iPad area in iTunes
5. Click the Books area in the iPad window. iTunes will load the iBooks Library
6. Put a checkmark in the box of the PDFs you want to put on the iPad.
7. Sync. iTunes will load them onto the iPad.

If you have a new version of a book, delete the old version from the iBooks Library before adding the new one. It is possible to have two books with the same name in the Library.
:)

Most reactions

Latest posts