Little tip for iPad readers

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by mikeos, Mar 26, 2011.

1. mikeos

mikeos iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I was new to 'digital reading' until my iPad. And was quite sad that some of my favourite books were not available to purchase, eg Harry potter!

If you download a free app called 'kobo'
    Then google the name of the book you are looking for with 'pdf' after the title,
    Then click to open the PDF file in kobo. It makes the PDF file look exactly like a book with animated page turns.

I assume this is legal to do if you actually own a hard copy of the book.

Now I can read Harry potter on my iPad :D
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Just a gentle word of warning here. The iPad Forum does not condone any form of illegal activity nor will it tolerate any discussions about illegal activities. The moderators will be keeping a close eye on this and will not hesitate to delete this thread should it develop in that direction

Tim
    Scotland
  3. mikeos

mikeos iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That's fair enough, I'm pretty sure it is legal to do if you already own the book.
    The same as playing a ROM on your computer if you already own the game.
    However if this is not the case then feel free to remove this post, I don't want to break the rules! I was merely suggesting a solution to people who want to read books they might own, but are not available to purchase online.
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    It's not a problem; I'm not a legal expert but experience has taught me these threads can 'take on a life of their own' far from what was originally intended. So it was a gentle and polite warning to follow-up posters.

One of the other problems an international forum like iPad Forum has is that the law on, say, copyright may be different in different countries making it even more difficult....

But thankyou for taking my post in the spirit in which it was meant. Welcome to the Forum - we actively encourage the widest possible discussion. We're all iPad enthusiasts here and love discussing our iPads.

Tim
    Scotland
  5. The Alternative

The Alternative iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Isn't Kobo the app for Borders Books? I'm not sure how PDF files could be downloaded from this site without paying for them. Either I'm very confused or the OP is. Not sure at this point which it is.