What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lists in Pages

mattbastin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
Does anyone know how to change the bullet point character or the image as a bullet point in lists? Or indeed if it is possible at all?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you hit the 'i' button (information) and choose 'List' you can select basic bullet, image, letter or number for the bullet point. I don't know of any other options.

Tim

OP
M

mattbastin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes thanks Tim. I know about other list options. I am talking about being able to change the bullet character eg
symbols.png
Or being able to change the image eg
Untitled.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No way in the iPad app. If you import lists from the OSX version of Pages the image bullets may work, or get converted. I imported a list with a variety of image bullets. Some were imported, some got changed to standard number or text listings. When I continued a list (on the iPad) the image bullets were continued. However any change tot he list type loses the new images, and you are stuck with the defaults again.

So, if you have the OSX version of Pages you can probably create and import lists with image bullets, then use that document to copy and paste a few lines to new documents to start a new list. A pain, but possible.

I'm going to experiment a bit more with it. I'll let you know what works, and supply a list template if it looks to be practical.

The same may work for image bullets from Word, but I'd expect less compatibility there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I played around with things a bit, and here is what I found.

• I can make a document with all the standard image bullet from the OSX version of Pages and import it to the iOS 5 version intact.
  • I can copy a list from the imported document to a new document and use it to create a new list.
  • Each indent level must have it's own image, so when you copy a list you must also copy all the indent levels you want.
  • If you delete all indents on a level, you lose the image for that level.
So this is what I did, and how I made it work.

Make a document with all the standard images with 5 indent levels. That is more than I normally use.

When you want a new list, open the Bullet Template file, copy the style you want with all indents, then paste it to the new document.

Start adding and/or changing the list that way you want; except Do Not Delete any indent levels until you are finished (or have new list items on all the levels you want). If you do, you lose the image on that level.

It's not a very good method, but if you need/want alternate bullet images, this is all I can come up with. Here is a link to public Box.net folder I created for various iWorks templates I choose to share with the forum. The Bullet Template document I created is there. Feel free to download it, or any other document that interests you.

Forum Stuff - Folder Shared from Box.net

OP
M

mattbastin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for your help. I'm pretty well convinced that the 'menu' cannot be changed but it looks like there are work-arounds.

Most reactions

Latest posts