What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Listening to books

gzamantakis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an app that will enable you to download books and then have the system read the book to you?

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, not sure exactly what you want to hear, but I download free audio books all the time from the public library using the free app Overdrive media console.
It's pretty easy and there is quite a few of the major classics available. Right now I'm listening to The Life of Clint Eastwood. But it's no classic!

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might take a look at the Audiobooks app. There are many free audiobooks available, and some with small fees. Most are recorded by volunteers but many are quite good. You can "preview" the book to be sure you like the reader's voice, pace and accent.

Wag more, bark less

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LibriVox » about listening to LibriVox -- free public domain books recorded by volunteers. Many of these recordings also free on iTunes.

Audible.com -- audiobooks which you pay for, which you can listen to via free Audible app in iTunes.

If you otherwise mean you want some kind of app that reads aloud a book that you bought in ebook form, I don't know of such. As far as I know, those rights are sold separately -- when you buy a print or ebook, you get that, and if you want a recorded version, you buy that separately.

OP
G

gzamantakis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, originally I bought a book (electronic copy) but I was thinking it would be nice to be able to have an audible version where I could turn it on while traveling and listen to someone else read me the book in a sense.

Most reactions