What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Linking to Chrome

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all since the latest gmail update whenever l open an email it opens it in Safari.
I wish to use Chrome can someone here point me in the right direction. Which buttons to push. I 've done it before but.........

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As near as I can tell, Chrome isn't showing in the share sheet for other apps either, which means you can't open links to Chrome from anywhere except inside Chrome itself.

There was an update to Chrome yesterday. My guess is it broke whatever method is used to register file-type compatibility wiht iOS. Gmail probalby uses the same hooks as the share sheet to detect Chrome and use it by default.

I tried deleting and redownloading Chrome to see if it would help, but no change.

I doubt very much this was intentional, and expect there will be another update to fix the issue rather soonish. Well, we can hope.

Once upon a time there used to be a setting in Gmail that let you choose Safari or Chrome as the default. It's either been removed, or it only shows up when it detects the Chrome share sheet (which isn't happening).

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for replying discovered that since the gmail update the choice of which browser to use has gone.
Waiting and watching for yet another update to get it back.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep. It's unclear whether Chrome or Gmail needs the update to start working again. I'd check if/when either of them is updated.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep. It's unclear whether Chrome or Gmail needs the update to start working again. I'd check if/when either of them is updated.

Hi just deleted and reinstalled Chrome & Gmail again no change. Checking through the App Store found an app called Email, thought give it a try. That allows me to open Safari or Chrome so for the time being at least l am not stuck with Safari.
I'm a happy bunny
09c9c9fa8aa9afaabbf17d48d652f841.png

For anyone interested it's the one on the bottom line

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Checked for a gmail update this morning and there was one, the problem now is l can't find where to change the browser settings.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I downloaded the Gmail update as well, and did not see any changes. Since Chrome is still not showing up in the sharesheet, I'm pretty sure it's the Chrome app that needs updating; though it is possible I'm wrong.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi for anyone who's interested, l have been checking for an update from gmail however there has not been one.
Strangely though as l opened the gmail app and clicked on a link it opened in Chrome.
I have not changed anything or checked anything at this stage.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Works here too.

I see the option to choose the default browser is back in the Gmail app. It must have been something they can change on the server.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also posted this on the iPhone forum just in case.
What l get is they did it without an update, just seems strange to me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some apps are little more than front ends for websites. Think of them as specialized browsers. Since most of their resources are based on the site's server, some of their behavior and appearance can also be modified there as well.

This is pretty common for apps that are based on web services like email; just didnt' occure to me that Gmail was one of them.

Most reactions

Latest posts