What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lining up icons

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't seem to be able to move the icons on my desktop out of the way so as to be able to see my picture wallpaper. Perhaps this is impossible on an iPad ?
I can move them around or switch them but they always keep the same grid formation,covering up
Whatever I put on that screen.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In a stock, non jailbroken, iPad there is no way to change the pattern of app icons on the home screen. As you already discovered, all you can do is move the icons around.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can choose to keep just the top row, though:
image.jpg

And it's also possible to keep the first homescreen without app icon except for the bottom:
image.jpg

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And don't forget you can make folders to group similar apps, like news, weather etc. It reduces the space taken up by the icons on the screen.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And don't forget you can make folders to group similar apps, like news, weather etc. It reduces the space taken up by the icons on the screen.
Thanks,sounds good.--except I don't know how to do 'folders'. .

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tap,and hold an app icon until they start to wiggle. Drag one app icon upon the other:
image.jpg

When they are exactly above each other, a new folder will appear with a name. Then you can release the app icon and tap the Home button.
image.jpg

Tap outside the folder to get back to the homescreen.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't like the suggested folder name, you can tap the X to the right of the name and enter your own folder title.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suggest you download the iBooks app. Use it to go to the bookstore and search for users guide for iOS 7. A free book! Down load it and it will answer many of your questions. Well written!

Most reactions