What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightening to old 30-pin adapter - does audio & charging both occur?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello all - I have an old iPod Touch (2nd G) w/ about 80 hrs of music - I use it @ home on a bedroom Sangean radio (pic below) & a small Teac audio system w/ an iPod dock on my porch; also used 'on the road' w/ portable Brookstone speakers and iPod dock electronics that may be in the hotel rooms.

Now I would like to obtain a new iPod Touch but am concerned about the Lightening adapter shown below (left) - when interfaced w/ the new 'tiny' Lightening connection to the 'old' 30 pin dock - will the new iPod put out audio and also charged simultaneously? I probably have about $500 invested in these products (esp. the Sangean radio) and don't want to really have to replace them - plus, the $29 for this adapter is rather expensive! Thanks for any comments - Dave :)

accessories-42093-450x350.pngS578-1026-mainv01-ec.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm using the adaptor you show with my TRX Tango speaker system and iPhone 5. It both charges and delivers audio just fine.

That's no guarantee, of course, but early reviews of the adaptor said the same thing. Most docked peripherals work fine, especially if all they do is charging and sound. There are a few peripherals have extra app specific features. Those features may break.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks TP for your comments - glad the adapter works for both purposes - I was most concerned about the Sangean radio; now will further consider obtaining a new iPod - Dave

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had different experience. In fact there are a lot of complaints on Apple website about 8 pin to 30 pin cable not supporting older device.
I bought two different cables so far and the old camera kit does not work on them.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had different experience. In fact there are a lot of complaints on Apple website about 8 pin to 30 pin cable not supporting older device.
I bought two different cables so far and the old camera kit does not work on them.

Hi Magnetic - thanks for your comments - I'm still debating - my iPod (2G) is used mainly for music, but I am concerned about the 'lightening' connection & the adapter, probably my main concern - my son, an IT guy who owns a lot of Apple stuff, is also a little dubious that my devices will easily work w/ an intervening adapter - I need to look @ some forums w/ threads reviewing this issue.

NOW, the iPod 4G is still available ($50 cheaper than a 5G) w/ the 30 pin connection - would that be an alternate choice? What will I gain (vs. the 2G): 1) iOS upgrade to 5.x (use of the iCloud); 2) Camera (about the same as my iPad2); 3) Display improvement (I believe) - what do I lose by not going to the 5G: 1) further iOS upgrade (important for an iPod?); 2) Different display (not important); 3) 5MP camera (maybe but not crucial); 4) Siri (cool but really not a big attraction for me).

SO, if I don't want Siri and am indifferent to a better camera, why not just get a 4G, and not worry about intervening 30pin-Ligntening adapters? I'm very reluctant to have to use this flimsy looking adapter, not only because it may not work but also the potential for an easy bump w/ damage - just thinking @ the moment? Thanks - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts