What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Library Book Download possible?

umrmbguest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on your library system. Most can. Talk to a friendly reference librarian

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to download books from library to iPad?

Yu need to contact your local library to see what form the ebooks are in, then make sure you have a book reader app which can store and display them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Overdrive Media Console app is for one of the big library ebook sharing solutions. The Bluefire Reader app is for the other. Between the two they cover just about every library that has ebook sharing available.

As others have said, you'll have to check with your local library to find out which to use and how to get books onto them. If like ours, they've got a pamphlet somewhere.

Some libraries are also using the Kindle for ebook lending. Ours has a couple, but they are limited to sharing devices with preloaded books, not sharing through your own Kindle or Kindle app. That might just be here though. I'm not what the full extend of Amazon's libary involvement is.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I download Kindle books to my ipad from my library. The library has both Adobe format books and Kindle format. Also our library has magazines available for download using the Zinio app. Great library!! You will need an account with Amazon for KIndle books borrowing as the book goes to your KIndle account which keeps track of it. But its FREE!!

French

iPF Noob
Reaction score
n4uau thank you for posting that!! I had NO idea my library also offers magazine borrowing through Zinio. I had to go searching for it but found it. A tiny bit clunky getting it all set up and working but what a nice little bonus I had no idea about.

ody9200

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I use more than one library with this Overdrive Media Console? Or am I limited to just one?

grabbit97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zinio...yes, the borrowing of the magazines was a real find!

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can I use more than one library with this Overdrive Media Console? Or am I limited to just one?

with overdrive you can go to many libraries and I have gone to two. Probably same with kindle reader as library sends book to kindle who downloads to your device.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Oh, absolutely! As long as you have a library card for that library (and they are supported by Overdrive), you can access as many libraries as you wish. I have library cards for six different libraries and sometimes have books downloaded from several different ones. Helps when you start seeing the long waiting lists...

Overdrive keeps track of the books for you (returns and such) and it doesn't matter from which library the book is - it's there on your shelf for reading when you get to it.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do these ebooks that you borrow from the library self delete after the loan period is up?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think they delete - I believe they just become unopenable. I could be wrong, though - mainly because I always "send" my books back(via Overdrive) when I am done reading them. I do this, especially if there is a waiting list, so that the next person in line can get the back after me.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't think there'd be a waiting list for borrowing ebooks. I guess the books are only allowed to be downloaded to a certain number of devices at the same time.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Libraries only get a certain number of e-copies, so they have to parcel them out just like hardback/paperback books. Heck, I've seen waiting lists over 200 people long. Granted, it was a bestseller (and the library had over 20 copies). But still...! :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts