What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LG Says New Tablet Will be Better Than the iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

LG Electronics’ vice president of marketing, Chang Ma, has told the Wall Street Journal that the South Korean company is planning to launch a tablet computer, which Chang Ma says will be “better than the iPad.†He told the WSJ that while he thinks that the iPad is a “great deviceâ€, he doesn’t use it much for business or work purposes, which is why LG wants its own forthcoming tablet to be more work, productivity, and business orientated. Mr Ma says that the proposed LG tablet (which does not yet have a name or a release date), will focus primarily on creation, with programs for writing documents and editing video. Mr Ma added that LG considers the U.S. a key market for the tablet, although he elected not to associate it with any particular wireless carrier.

The Wall Street Journal reports that despite still being the world’s third-largest handset maker, its position in the smartphone market has fallen way behind the likes of Apple and HTC. From the way Mr Ma is talking, LG obviously thinks that an iPad-killing tablet could well put them closer to the front of the chasing pack, but that’s probably just wishful thinking on his part. We'll have to wait and see when (and if!) the proposed LG tablet ever comes out.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LG Electronics’ vice president of marketing, Chang Ma, has told the Wall Street Journal that the South Korean company is planning to launch a tablet computer, which Chang Ma says will be “better than the iPad.â€
Well now if he said it will be, "worse than an iPad" he probably wouldn't sell very many!

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LG Electronics’ vice president of marketing, Chang Ma, has told the Wall Street Journal that the South Korean company is planning to launch a tablet computer, which Chang Ma says will be “better than the iPad.â€
Well now if he said it will be, "worse than an iPad" he probably wouldn't sell very many!

:pGood point!:D

SR45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two contenders that I'm interested in:

Generation 2 of Ipad, if it has USB ports, camera, more video memory and dumps AT&T for Verizon, Or..

EXOPC slate:

• View forum - EXOPC Slate

which has a full operating system, many more application. Only down side is that the battery life is about 5 hours over the IPads 10 hours.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still think competitors (and bloggers) making comparisons like "better than the iPad", or "iPad killer" are going about it wrong. The just need to explain what their target market is and how it differs from the iPad's target market. If you're going for enterprise use, then say so and explain how your tablet reaches that market better. "better than the iPad" is a useless statement. Better at what?

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm...lets think about this. Ipad comes out in Spring 2010.....LG makes new tablet MONTHS later claiming that it will be better than the iPad..

No sh!t Sherlock....they have had MONTHS to look at it and improve it. LOL!!

I think personally that this is funny as hell.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
..."better than the iPad" is a useless statement. Better at what?

Actually it is the perfect marketing statement because it gets everyones attention. His statement has made the news on every single tech website.

But his complete statement is confusing. He says "better than iPad," but says it will be nothing like the iPad because it will be more productivity oriented. He invites comparison and then says they can't be compared. I find it a very curious statement.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the phrase 'it's going to be surprisingly productive' was one of the funniest things I've read - though probably better than 'LG's VP for mobile-device marketing' saying, "you know, I thought it was going to be sh!t, but really, with a bit of practice I can actually type on it..."

As for "...programs for writing documents and editing video" - I can do that on my 'phone ffs!

EXOPC slate which has a full operating system, many more application. Only down side is that the battery life is about 5 hours

I think those things might just be related, no? ;)

Pete

Joker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
which has a full operating system, many more application. Only down side is that the battery life is about 5 hours over the IPads 10 hours.

Serioulsy? The ONLY odwnside is 5 hours? It's windows wich mean: Lagg, viruses and of course some explorer crashed.. and monthly format.:D

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Serioulsy? The ONLY odwnside is 5 hours? It's windows wich mean: Lagg, viruses and of course some explorer crashed.. and monthly format.:D
Seriously? You're just showing you haven't used Windows in seven or eight years, and you absolutely have no experience with Windows 7.

You would be better off following Abe Lincoln's advice: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Instead of spouting off with ancient cruft you read on the "How to be a Fanboi" site, say something mature like: "I simply prefer not to use Microsoft products."

Sorry but I hate the flame war games. It feels so 1995. :D

Joker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[/quote]
Seriously? You're just showing you haven't used Windows in seven or eight years, and you absolutely have no experience with Windows 7.

You would be better off following Abe Lincoln's advice: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Instead of spouting off with ancient cruft you read on the "How to be a Fanboi" site, say something mature like: "I simply prefer not to use Microsoft products."

Sorry but I hate the flame war games. It feels so 1995. :D[/QUOTE]

I have windows 7, what I said was from 7 of experience years using
windows. I would love to see you prove me wrong.:)

SR45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not rebooted my windows 7 nor have I had any blue screens either. Where have some of you with this thinking been ?

Goodness, those that have to be such apple fan boys, as you are called, should wake up and see the real difference between both tablets. Reading the comparisons, I am leaning towards a window 7 slate such as the EXOPC that have so much more to offer over the IPad.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Other tablets are on the way, and I do have time to read up on them and any reviews before jumping in compared to those that went with an IPad that lacks in many area's. I want a true OS windows experience that allows me to download many applications, not being locked into iTunes that I have to register first with a credit card, having two USB ports, HDMI, camera that the IPad lacks, and a way to delete photos, music and other stuff without having to connect to another computer. Now that is just plain dumb on the part of Apple.

<O:p</O:pThose that do not need a more robust tablet can select which ever they want, but for me, I do my home work and buy the best for my needs. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

http://exopc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=380 <O:p</O:p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExoPC

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
..."better than the iPad" is a useless statement. Better at what?

Actually it is the perfect marketing statement because it gets everyones attention. His statement has made the news on every single tech website.

But his complete statement is confusing. He says "better than iPad," but says it will be nothing like the iPad because it will be more productivity oriented. He invites comparison and then says they can't be compared. I find it a very curious statement.

Yeah, it gets headlines. I guess in the mentality of "no such thing as bad publicity" its good. Personally, I think a bold headline with weak follow-through does not really help your reputation in the long run. Particularly when the headline is trying to ride on someone else's coat-tails. If you are really confident in your product, you dont need to ride off someone else's success.

Cklasse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are missing the point of using the ipad or understanding how great the ipad is as a tablet.

It is not a case of how much wonder can the ipad do, so what if a windows can do more? The good thing about the ipad is the integration of everything in the Apple family; hardware and software.

I want to use the ipad because it has a long lasting battery and this comes at a price for not having USB, or fancy stuff in the OS. Granted it lacks flash, blah blah blah....but it still works to a certain extend and it can be jailbreak.

I want to use ipad because it ties in smoothly with my iMac and I don't want to click too many buttons, select many options just to syn or just to download, install stuff.

I want to just plug in my ipad, iTunes opens itself and both syn automatically. It's suppose to make my life easy, entertain me...not do excel, words....I don't want to work on my ipad. On the iMac, Yes, but not iPad.

So, the iPad has satisfied the target of what it is suppose to do; entertain.

Joker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not rebooted my windows 7 nor have I had any blue screens either. Where have some of you with this thinking been ?

Goodness, those that have to be such apple fan boys, as you are called, should wake up and see the real difference between both tablets. Reading the comparisons, I am leaning towards a window 7 slate such as the EXOPC that have so much more to offer over the IPad.<o>:p</o>:p<o>:p</o>:p

Other tablets are on the way, and I do have time to read up on them and any reviews before jumping in compared to those that went with an IPad that lacks in many area's. I want a true OS windows experience that allows me to download many applications, not being locked into iTunes that I have to register first with a credit card, having two USB ports, HDMI, camera that the IPad lacks, and a way to delete photos, music and other stuff without having to connect to another computer. Now that is just plain dumb on the part of Apple.

<o>:p</o>:pThose that do not need a more robust tablet can select which ever they want, but for me, I do my home work and buy the best for my needs. <o>:p</o>:p
<o>:p</o>:p

http://exopc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=380 <o>:p</o>:p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExoPC

-I'm not an apple fan boy, my only Apple product is the iPad. I didn't even care about one but once I got it as a gift I couldn't reject.

-Windows 7 have some flaws that can make the system crash from time to time, so you will have to clean up your PC in about every 2 weeks.

-Good luck if your planing on buying the slate, I believe HTC is going to give a strong competitor to the iPad though.:)

Most reactions

Latest posts