What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's Talk ePrinters?

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have 4.2.1 working fine so now I want a new printer. I should be able to get a good deal on Black Friday. So anyway I want an eprinter that I can print from the iPad. I went to HP's site and looked a three of theirs, the E710n, C310a and the C410a. I would like to keep the cost below $200 is possible. I have a PC with windows 7. I also have the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I think that Airport Extreme let's you connect your printer to it but I don't know how that works. That's why I just thought that I would get an eprinter. Does anyone have a good suggestion?

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an Epson workforce 610 about a month ago that I am able to print with 3.2. I am in the middle of downloading 4.2 so I have not tried it, but would expect better performance.

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
List of current Airprint-capable printers

Here's a list I found this morning in an article from Compuworld:

For the moment, AirPrint works with the following printers:
  • HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One Printer - C410
  • HP Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer series - C310
  • HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One Printer series - B210
  • HP Envy 100 e-All-in-One Printer Series - D410
  • HP Photosmart eStation Printer series - C510
  • And the Epson Artisan 835 all-in-one.
I was surprised to see the Epson on there - it's an older model. I had been looking at the HP C510, but it's a bit pricey - though it does have that snazzy ANDROID TABLET on it - like we need another tablet!!! HAHA...

I just got off a chat session with HP and was sent this link. Some work now, some will require a firmware upgrade available 12/27/10:
http://www.hp.com/sbso/printing/mac/apple-airprint.pdf

Larry

fergy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
im on 4.2.1 got a epson sx600 and i can print using a prog called printshare from the app store.

OP
B

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Both of those are good links. I'm going to buy a printer on Black Friday. I want the best for the least money. I'll be looking at the sales flyers in Thursday's paper.

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Consider the inks used as well...

Some of the printers listed use a 2-cartridge set-up: one black and one with tri-color cartridge. I hate those because when you run out of, say, magenta, you toss the cartridge even though there is ink in the other two colors left. Grrrr... I think the HP Envy 100 uses a black and tri-color cartridge. Not a big deal if you don't print much, but if you print a ton, it can be a pain and expensive.

Also, the ability to use larger cartridges instead of the smaller "standard" ones is good.

The major cost of printers isn't the hardware, it's the ink. That's where the printer companies make their money - probably should be called ink companies!

Not needing a new printer yet myself - but if I did, I'd also consider the normal printer issues along with Airprint compatibility as well.

Larry

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the printers listed use a 2-cartridge set-up: one black and one with tri-color cartridge. I hate those because when you run out of, say, magenta, you toss the cartridge even though there is ink in the other two colors left. Grrrr... I think the HP Envy 100 uses a black and tri-color cartridge. Not a big deal if you don't print much, but if you print a ton, it can be a pain and expensive.

Also, the ability to use larger cartridges instead of the smaller "standard" ones is good.

The major cost of printers isn't the hardware, it's the ink. That's where the printer companies make their money - probably should be called ink companies!

Not needing a new printer yet myself - but if I did, I'd also consider the normal printer issues along with Airprint compatibility as well.

Larry

It is a 2 cartridge setup but they seem to last quite a while if thats any consolation ;)

and color use has been extremely uniform:

Screen%20shot%202010-11-23%20at%2010.46.24%20AM.png

Macgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought the HP Envy it will be delivered tomorrow love the look of it.
The envy black has a XL that lasts 600 pages.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought the HP Envy it will be delivered tomorrow love the look of it.
The envy black has a XL that lasts 600 pages.

You will like it, it is a good printer and looks really nice in the living room believe it or not! I have it under the TV....it looks like it belongs even tho most people have no idea what it is...lol

OP
B

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I stopped by CompUsa on the way home and looked at the HP B210. I like the way it looks. CompUsa has it on sale for $119.99 with a 14 day price match if they lower the price. Amazon has it for $96.00 but I would rather have cash and carry instead of mail order just in case there's a problem. I saw the HP Envy D410 but I think I like the B210 a little more. I might buy it tomorrow, I don't think anyone's going to put these HP printers on Black Friday sales.

hberninger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluesjam,
I have the B210. It is loud, but works. Seems to eat ink quickly, but most printers do.
Bernie

Macgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The envy is dead quiet and I love the look, very modern and love the fact the paper tray is not seen:D

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The B210 is on sale at Best Buy for $70. I plan on getting one for my SIL who just got my old MacBook. It has a high rating and my inspection found no glaring faults. It uses the 61 series cartridges which are reputed to be more frugal. I would replace my own AiO but I need a FAX every now and then.

Most reactions

Latest posts