What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather or Polyurethane Smart Cover?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sweet :)

Have used spirit based leather dyes in the past and they are very strong (ie. they penetrate well). A little goes a long way, so it would be easy to refresh a scuffed leather if you can match the colour.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually it doesn't come with a "bleeding" disclaimer, it says some that because it's dyed leather some color "may rub off." Just like has happened over time with every leather item I've ever owned. The fact that other companies don't admit this upfront is no reflection on Apple.

I will have to disagree. I have been using and own many leather products for many years now, including messenger bags, belts, jackets, shoes, folio and journal covers and valets, and I have never had any problem with any of them in terms of the dye/pigment rubbing off nor have any of these products ever arrived with a warning or disclaimer about non-fast dye.

Some of the pigments on the leather items have darkened over time through usage and exposure to sunlight, but that is a natural feature of the pigment and not considered a defect. A well-made leather product does not have its colours rub off or bleed onto other surfaces, whether dry or wet, as the dye treatment can be baked fast into the hide to prevent exactly this. At the prices that leather manufacturers charge, a buyer should expect a certain level of quality.

You are lucky. Every briefcase/shoulder bag I have ever bought lost color from wear over time. And none of them came with the appropriate disclaimer.

Show me a single leather Smart Case that has had any color rub off and I'll think it might be a problem. Until then it's just FUD.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't decide which one I should get. It is my understanding that the leather feels nicer (I didn't really like the slick feeling of the Poly..) but I have also heard that it can rub off onto the iPad. Also, color wise I find the red Leather cover the most attractive.

What is your experience with the covers?

If you like RED, buy it. If price is a problem get the closest color you like and save $30.

The biggest issue in my mind is the cover is the stand ... what ever color you want. The other issue is quick on and off. Otherwise who needs a cover. The magnets are just a slick way to store it on the iPAD2. Actually works to hang it from a refrigerator door if that turn us on.

If you want protection from scratches, the netbook cases work nicely.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are lucky. Every briefcase/shoulder bag I have ever bought lost color from wear over time. And none of them came with the appropriate disclaimer. Show me a single leather Smart Case that has had any color rub off and I'll think it might be a problem. Until then it's just FUD.

Depends on what you mean by "lost colour": if it is fading from exposure or material abrasion, and part of normal wear and tear, then it's not a defect. I am thinking specifically of a fresh leather dye rubbing off (as per Apple's disclaimer) like the way fresh denim (e.g. jeans, jackets, etc) can and does rubs off - which should not happen with factory-produced leather.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are lucky. Every briefcase/shoulder bag I have ever bought lost color from wear over time. And none of them came with the appropriate disclaimer. Show me a single leather Smart Case that has had any color rub off and I'll think it might be a problem. Until then it's just FUD.

Depends on what you mean by "lost colour": if it is fading from exposure or material abrasion, and part of normal wear and tear, then it's not a defect. I am thinking specifically of a fresh leather dye rubbing off (as per Apple's disclaimer) like the way fresh denim (e.g. jeans, jackets, etc) can and does rubs off - which should not happen with factory-produced leather.

I agree. But I've seen no sign of any color rubbing off on anything so this appears to be Apple protecting itself from any long- term repair based on normal wear. The time to complain is when any reports of premature wear actually surface. So far it's a total non-issue.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. But I've seen no sign of any color rubbing off on anything so this appears to be Apple protecting itself from any long- term repair based on normal wear. The time to complain is when any reports of premature wear actually surface. So far it's a total non-issue.

Well, if its a non-issue, then Apple's warning is absolutely disingenious because leather dyes can be made fast, and that "technology" (baking the dye in) has existed for centuries. I saw a hilarious thread (not intentionally, I'm sure) on Macrumors discussing exactly this issue, and the amount of self-professed knowledge swirling around in there could fit on the head of a pin.

Most reactions

Latest posts