What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learning Content Management Systems (LCMS or LMS)

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anybody have any specific experience incorporating a iWork presentation (Keynote/Pages/Numbers) onto a LCMS/LMS system?

Does Apple have such a thing. In the past I have worked with an LCMS but that used PPT and was a real nauseating experience. I'm now ready to step up a gear and do not want to make the obvious mistakes at the beginning. If it is already out there and working please let me know because google comes up with very little except entering a million details and a rep gets back with the best sales talk - one recently said that apple do not have that sort of thing but my guess is they probably do!

Any help greatly appreciated as always.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you looked into iTunes U?

iTunes U - Apple Support

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Surprising for me I did, it does offer a course on LMS but it doesn't really answer the question of if I can incorporate iWorks onto it. I think I'm am always going to be up against JavaScript unless apple have their own version which makes sense to a simpleton like me!

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe I should try to explain that a little better! The. LCMS/LMS software available out there all seems MS oriented Ie, should I wish to use a presentation incorporated in that software if it is not JavaScript compatable it won't work (or will it) I am trying hard not to spend thousands buying a product that will not be compatable with iWorks - I truly believe keynote is miles ahead of ppt in terms of ease and graphics.

I just read that again and I'm not sure I've made it any clearer - sorry TP

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but it sounds to me that what you are looking for is a combination of course distrabution, tracking, and management (which iTunes U can do), and some kind of interactive course presentation (which iTune U can't do).

The Keynote app itself can do some limited interaction, but does not support javascript or any other scripting language. That being the case I don't see how you could intergrate it with a third Party solution.

Anotherwords, all you can do is make the Keynote file availble. The student would need to downpad and run it locally on their own device. This is true of all the iWorks apps.

If I'm still not getting it, sorry.

Note: most of my (limited) knowledge about iTunes U comes from reading and listening Fraser Speirs and Bradley Chambers of the Out of School podcast.

Blog
Out of School

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As usual TP very many thanks give me a while to listen to the podcasts you might be spot on - I do hope so. I think you are getting it albeit I'm not convinced I'm explains it very well!

There are several LCMS/LMS systems out there available for what I'm looking for. But to the best of my knowledge they are 100% MS because they incorporate PPTs as the presentation tool because of the ability to use JavaScript. (I get that impression but could be quite wrong).

If I start by saying I have a thousand presentations (keynote) which hypothetically I want to put on an LCMS server (because I can ensure it's secure and only accessible by those who pay for it!! A nightmare but I'm getting there. Where they can interact with said pres's but with have no rights to edit or alter. I think that's what I'm trying to do. I make all the timely updates as and when amendments are issued,

The bit I'm finding hard to explain is I can do this with existing MS LCMS system but only if the pres's are in PPT! Which I'm sorry but both me and the customer find inferior in lots of areas.

Clear as mud! Sorry pal

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. It's becoming clearer. But it's also becoming pretty clear you can't use Keynote the way you would like to. Of course you could convert the Keynotes to PPT. You might lose whatever features you're counting on, but it's worth a try, just to see how it goes.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts