What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learn Objective-C or hire a programmer on eLance.com?

Max iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm so in love with the iPad platform that I want to start developing some apps for it. I have zero programming knowledge, but lots of graphic design and HTML/CSS skills.

Would it be worth learning Objective-C in-depth (and how much would I truly have to learn to develop a decent app?), or would it be better to simply learn as much as I can about the iPhone SDK and Objective-C and then hire somebody to do the actually programming? In other words, I'd do the layout, buttons, etc

Just weighing what's the best use of my time, effort, and money (I don't mind paying a programmer if it's in the $500-$2,000 range).

Thanks for any insight!

John

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Designing the interface is nothing compared to programming the app. If you pay for a programmer then they would probably get a big cut of the app profits, right?

I don't know Objective C but I've heard it's a pain. If you want to do the programming yourself then start with learning C, or better yet go straight to C++. You should be able to use C/C++ in the backend of the app and just use Objective C whenever necessary (for example, I think the interface has to be in Objective C).

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Pick up the book called "Beginning iPhone DevelopeMent". Apress is the publisher.
They will get up up an making apps in no time at all (hours).

However, if you have now prior C programming knowledge you may have to just read each chapter 3-4 times until things click and you understand exactly why things are done they way they are.

OP
M

Max iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Mike, I'll pick up that book. I hate programming, but the reward (making apps!) could make it worth my time tenfold.

Thanks again-

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've never done any programming, I wish u the best of luck, but I'll warn you that you'll probably fail. It's not as easy as it may sound. Keep us posted. I'd love to hear that you succeeded.

OP
M

Max iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning, Robertt.

But with all the thousands of apps in the store, is it really that impossible for somebody who's driven to learn how to do the same?

John

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

But with all the thousands of apps in the store, is it really that impossible for somebody who's driven to learn how to do the same?

John
It's not impossible, but you should really start with C or C++ and work your way up to Cocoa. It's good to have programming experience before selling an app, especially since you have to be able to support whatever you release.

Just mho as a software engineer.

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not impossible, but I'd estimate that it would take hundreds of hours to cobble up the simplest of applications for a newbie. Given enough time, yep, it can be done.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

John

You sure can.

Starting out you will struggle but you can push through and once you understand the basics things will start to click.

If you want check out also by the same publisher that teaches objective C.
When I started with iphone apps I looked at both but just went with the beginning iPhone development because I already had the basic minimal understanding of C.

But the beginning iPhone Developement book starts off as if you are a beginner so you should be OK. You will be making apps in no time.

Check out my app in the app store called BFDeals (free), I made it last year in about a week with reading that book.

Last edited:

winwaed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.geowebguru.com
There's also a big difference being a half decent programmer and producing a product that sells. Don't be surprised if your first product is a damp squib - that is common (the norm?), but learn from your mistakes and make a decent second product that people want!

Programming isn't the only skill you need. You also need some marketing ability, graphic design (especially for the iPad - unlike the niche where I currently sell my products), basic business sense, ergonomic/usability, people skills, able to test your own products, web design, etc, etc.

I you are serious about setting up your own micro-ISV, then you probably should look at joining the ASP - Association of Software Professionals. Their newsgroups are full of people handling these problems.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
If your looking to make sales you need to do one of two things.

#1 Make and app the fills a nich. Something that people will want but no other apps like it are available.

#2 Make the app a better quality product than competing apps.

Umdterps2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.vikrampant.com
Just to toss my two cents in ... I am a developer but looked at obj c and while I could learn it and android and blackberry API, I stumbled upon titanium appcelerator a month ago and have been impressed a lot.

It's neat from a developer point of view to write once, in javascript, and run on multiple phone platforms. In my spare time I have been messing around with their Apis and sample code.

Mighht be worth a look. There are other products too filling this niche.

Most reactions

Latest posts