What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LaTeX on the iPad

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just became aware of two serious apps for doing TeX on the iPad: Tex Writer and Texpad. I bought them both and think Tex Writer is the far better of the two.

I just wanted to make others aware of these apps and ask what you think if you've already tried them. They are not cheap (about nine bucks), but Tex Writer, at least, is worth every penny.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow.....LaTeX on iPad....man, I've seen everything now. I'm tempted to buy this just so I can show it off to people.

From reading the reviews, it does seem that Tex Writer is the one to have. Seems to be on sale now. I think I'm going to have to buy it. Thanks for the heads up.

sgiridhar007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tex writer is the best!!!

First of all, i am sorry if i am late to this thread. Coudl not help myself when i saw the topic.

I am a math & physics teacher. I got ipad4 so that i cud be off desktop to type all sorts of math question papers with greek symbols. I bought tex writer and i shud say that it it awesome !!! I type all my question papers in tex writer. I can clmpile them offline on ipad itself !! When i am satisfied with the format, i upload the pdf to dropbox. I use my desktop only to print it out as i dont have a wifi printer.

Thanks to tex writer!! I dont need MS OFFICE anymore !!!

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First of all, i am sorry if i am late to this thread. Coudl not help myself when i saw the topic.

I am a math & physics teacher. I got ipad4 so that i cud be off desktop to type all sorts of math question papers with greek symbols. I bought tex writer and i shud say that it it awesome !!! I type all my question papers in tex writer. I can clmpile them offline on ipad itself !! When i am satisfied with the format, i upload the pdf to dropbox. I use my desktop only to print it out as i dont have a wifi printer.

Thanks to tex writer!! I dont need MS OFFICE anymore !!!

Glad you posted your reactions. This is an app that I hope sticks around! Be aware, though, that there are some bogus ripoffs in the app store that look slick but either have functional problems or are ripoffs of others.

The developer of TexWriter seems quite responsive to suggestions. For example, in an update he inadvertently missed including the AMS package, but issued an update with it in when I called it to his attention.

There is another very useful LaTex app called Mathbot. It isn't the complete authoring package like TexWriter, but is very useful for making single equations for transporting to other apps.

Please post any experiences or comments you might have here and we can then pool our resources or experiences.

sgiridhar007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you posted your reactions. This is an app that I hope sticks around! Be aware, though, that there are some bogus ripoffs in the app store that look slick but either have functional problems or are ripoffs of others.

The developer of TexWriter seems quite responsive to suggestions. For example, in an update he inadvertently missed including the AMS package, but issued an update with it in when I called it to his attention.

There is another very useful LaTex app called Mathbot. It isn't the complete authoring package like TexWriter, but is very useful for making single equations for transporting to other apps.

Please post any experiences or comments you might have here and we can then pool our resources or experiences.

I tried MathBot. Though i could insert math equations in Pages document, it had serious problems with formatting. The size of images could not be adjusted in a way that the text would look professional when printed out. There were unnecessary spaces created by the image inserted that used to affect the formatting of the next line below it also. I emailed all these samples to the developer and he was honest to not only admit these problems but confess 'non-solvability' of such issues. He himself suggested to look for other apps. I presented to him a mathematical document (question paper ,rather)prepared in TexWriter, and he was happy that my problem was resolved.

MathBot will be ok for inserting one or two equations in a pages which can be emailed as pdf to people around. But TexWriter is the best for producing proofessional looking documents, both mathematical and otherwise.

Thanks & Regards

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with your comments about Mathbot. I only use it for "snippets" of math. TexWriter is my main "go to" math editing app.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have any significant comments other than I'm impressed by TexWriter. I often use it to brag on the iPad amongst the crowd of scientists I hang out with. I especially like to bring it up when people say an iPad isn't a real computer. Thanks for bringing it up here otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought o even look for such an app.

sgiridhar007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazing app!!

I dont think i can add anything worthwhile. This app is worth every penny. As someone said: everytime someone says that ipad only consumes content,i show them my question papers prepared in tex writer app and they keep their mouth shut

The new update for iOS7 is too good with 'open in' features. Dropbox sync is superb.
Even if my comments are repetitive,i do not mind. I cannot find an equivalent app for android that compiles offline!!

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, folks. I think it is ironic that such a valuable productivity tool as the iPad had to appeal to gamers, video streamers, and other entertainment afficianados to succeed! And I hope we have gotten past Steve Job's famous (infamous) comment about the stylus.

I should also mention that I have contacted the developer of TexWriter on a couple if occasions with suggestions/complaints. He has always treated them seriously and has been responsive in trying to improve the user experience. Gets my vote for one of the top two or three apps I use.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An old thread, but here goes! Texwriter was an excellent app, and the developer very responsive; however, the latest version is a disaster, and I think the developer knows it because he has developed a hypersenstivity about suggestions. Just wanted to update folks. I am now trying to learn to use Texpad.

Most reactions

Latest posts