Latest OS versions - discussions

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by KevinJS, Dec 3, 2016.

1. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I had similar problems with the links, but then (I think) found them via the Books app. Try entering and searching ios 12 in Books. You may need to click the link to search the Store. Sorry that this is vague, but I found for both iPad and iPhone but, as usual, did not note how I did it!

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:

The link worked for me, and now the manual is showing up when I search in Books. No idea why it did not yesterday.

Seems to me that we had a similar issue last year, and it resoved itself similaryly. That or I’m having deja vu.

I believe I also came to a similar conclusion. I’m consistant, even when wrong. :)

3. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Did you miss the screenshot I posted? It was Books, after I performed the search you suggest, telling me the Store is unavailable. Still no workee workee.

IIRC there used to be a setting to enable the various Apple stores, but either it disappeared in iOS 12, or it moved and I have not been able to guess where. Why do morons move things for no reason?

4. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    >> Did you miss the screenshot I posted?

I saw it, but assumed a temporary glitch, obviously incorrectly. I have not had the black screen or store unavailable. Strange.

5. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Update: I managed to download the user guide to iBooks on my iMac. That made it show up in Books on my iPad, with the cloud icon. I tapped on it, and the download to my iPad allegedly began, but is stuck at the 1% point (presumably, that means nothing downloaded at all). Restarting did not help. Maybe I'll explore emailing to myself, if I can't find any other flaming hoops through which to jump.

The black screen apparently is Books' attempt to make me crazy when the room's light level is low-ish. Not dark, just not sunnily bright on this overcast day. I could make it jump back and forth between white and black by holding it up to an uncurtained window. I have not found any setting to disable this behavior. Another case of "Apple knows best"...except when it doesn't.

#145 LannyC, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  6. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    The user guide is too large to email to myself. I uploaded it from my iMac to my Dropbox account. It appears in the iOS Dropbox app, but is unreadable, and attempts to open it in Books fail consistently.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If your iMac isn’t too old you should be able to AirDrop to the iPad.

8. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    12.0.1 out, which amongst other changes, fixes the keyboard issue where the key ?123 position was changed.

9. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you! Downloading it now on my iPad Pro.

Information is up to date again:
    Latest OS versions

#149 J. A., Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  10. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Aha! Thanks, TP, that worked. Now that I have an actual ebook in Books, I can find the hidden easter-eggish Auto-Night Theme toggle, which was already off. Seems the toggle only works in ebooks, not in the Books app itself, which still flips to black if the room isn't brightly lit.