What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest OS versions - discussions

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I want to download the iPad User Guide for iOS 12 to the Books app, but the link at Apple Support just opens Books, where the book store is "not available."

Has anyone managed to download this pub?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Searching the store, it doesn’t look like they’ve released an iOS 12 verison of the iPad User Guide yet.

They might be waiting until the next iPad update.

Just a guess, but there may be information in the new guide that would give away new features of the next generation iPad; and they don’t want to put out one version of the guide just to replace it.

All of which suggests we might be getting that hardware update soonish.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here’s the online version of the iPad User Guide for iOS 12. https://help.apple.com/ipad/12/

Right. I don't want the online version, I want one that works without wifi.

Here’s the link where you can find the Books version of the iPad User Guide for iOS 12. Apple - Support - Manuals

And...the link for the iPad/iOS 12 book goes here:

C7235E6D-7633-43CB-AF37-7C604F591991.png

Did you actually try it? Did it work for you, and it's just failing for me? That was my question.

BTW, sometimes Books is black, other times white. It has nothing to do with the time of day, but is seemingly random. Naturally, Apple has not explained this (in a book that's actually available), nor offered a user pref to control it.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right. I don't want the online version, I want one that works without wifi.

And...the link for the iPad/iOS 12 book goes here:

View attachment 83710

Did you actually try it? Did it work for you, and it's just failing for me? That was my question.

BTW, sometimes Books is black, other times white. It has nothing to do with the time of day, but is seemingly random. Naturally, Apple has not explained this (in a book that's actually available), nor offered a user pref to control it.
It works for me:
CCACCE3A-B3B5-4309-8486-CC8E305FF9A4.jpeg

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had similar problems with the links, but then (I think) found them via the Books app. Try entering and searching ios 12 in Books. You may need to click the link to search the Store. Sorry that this is vague, but I found for both iPad and iPhone but, as usual, did not note how I did it!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here’s the online version of the iPad User Guide for iOS 12. https://help.apple.com/ipad/12/

Here’s the link where you can find the Books version of the iPad User Guide for iOS 12. Apple - Support - Manuals

The link worked for me, and now the manual is showing up when I search in Books. No idea why it did not yesterday.

Seems to me that we had a similar issue last year, and it resoved itself similaryly. That or I’m having deja vu.

I believe I also came to a similar conclusion. I’m consistant, even when wrong. :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had similar problems with the links, but then (I think) found them via the Books app. Try entering and searching ios 12 in Books. You may need to click the link to search the Store.

Did you miss the screenshot I posted? It was Books, after I performed the search you suggest, telling me the Store is unavailable. Still no workee workee.

IIRC there used to be a setting to enable the various Apple stores, but either it disappeared in iOS 12, or it moved and I have not been able to guess where. Why do morons move things for no reason?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
>> Did you miss the screenshot I posted?

I saw it, but assumed a temporary glitch, obviously incorrectly. I have not had the black screen or store unavailable. Strange.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Update: I managed to download the user guide to iBooks on my iMac. That made it show up in Books on my iPad, with the cloud icon. I tapped on it, and the download to my iPad allegedly began, but is stuck at the 1% point (presumably, that means nothing downloaded at all). Restarting did not help. Maybe I'll explore emailing to myself, if I can't find any other flaming hoops through which to jump.

The black screen apparently is Books' attempt to make me crazy when the room's light level is low-ish. Not dark, just not sunnily bright on this overcast day. I could make it jump back and forth between white and black by holding it up to an uncurtained window. I have not found any setting to disable this behavior. Another case of "Apple knows best"...except when it doesn't.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The user guide is too large to email to myself. I uploaded it from my iMac to my Dropbox account. It appears in the iOS Dropbox app, but is unreadable, and attempts to open it in Books fail consistently.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If your iMac isn’t too old you should be able to AirDrop to the iPad.

Aha! Thanks, TP, that worked. Now that I have an actual ebook in Books, I can find the hidden easter-eggish Auto-Night Theme toggle, which was already off. Seems the toggle only works in ebooks, not in the Books app itself, which still flips to black if the room isn't brightly lit.

Most reactions

Latest posts