What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Largest flaw with IPad...tethering

seanFLA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had my IPad for a little over amonth now and like it a lot, but it definately does have flaws. I love the operating platform, but I think Apple is missing out on the mobile phone tethering feature here. ATT or no ATT 3G, there shouldn't be issues with tethering to smartphones via bluetooth. If they want a share of Blackberry's business, allow it to tether with Blackberrys and you've found a great business nitch to take some marketshare. Or Apple should just sell a tethering app in ITunes to handle this problem. Even of they charge $150 for it, I think they would find that most people would readily purchase it. Might be another way to draw people in even if they limited it to their IPhones...who knows. But I think this pad is just not being allowed to unlock its potential with today's technologies. Makes it so frustrating purcahsing items like this anymore. I do have a 3G pad, but haven't yet purchased any data usage. Of course Flash is a whole other issue.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether we are using exactly the same definition for "tethering" but I have, just today, found a simple way to do it. See "Using Mobile Phone to Connect to the Internet".

When you think about it, if your mobile phone has software that makes it act as a WiFi router that just happens to connect via 3G, the iPad should connect to it. I like this solution as it means that I can make use of my existing 3G data plan rather than having one especially for the iPad.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the price is the biggest iPad flaw
Lack of multi-tasking and Flash are also big flaws

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm really looking forward to 4.2 didn't realize how far behind the iPhone it was! One of the biggest thing for me are the onscreen brigtness/volume.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether we are using exactly the same definition for "tethering" but I have, just today, found a simple way to do it. See "Using Mobile Phone to Connect to the Internet".

When you think about it, if your mobile phone has software that makes it act as a WiFi router that just happens to connect via 3G, the iPad should connect to it. I like this solution as it means that I can make use of my existing 3G data plan rather than having one especially for the iPad.

Have you tried any of the wifi model smartphones in this manor?

Cya

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WMWiFiRouter works for this...

Just popping in to the discussion - my HTC TouchPro2, running Windows Mobile 6.5, works great as a wifi router with WMWifiRouter. I have a Sprint unlimited data plan so it costs me nothing extra. Make sure you have an adequate data plan or it could literally run up hundreds of dollars of data charges.

What phone/data plan do you have?

Larry

kidclam

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Its value for money for what I need to do on a daily basis for both work, and then at night for recreation/play.

I jailbroke my iPad and have flash enabled.

OP
S

seanFLA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just popping in to the discussion - my HTC TouchPro2, running Windows Mobile 6.5, works great as a wifi router with WMWifiRouter. I have a Sprint unlimited data plan so it costs me nothing extra. Make sure you have an adequate data plan or it could literally run up hundreds of dollars of data charges.

Larry

I have a Blackberry Tour with Verizon.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Larry

Yes, I later Googled WMWiFiRouter, perfect!!!

PolkSDA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another WMWifiRouter user here (Palm Treo Pro on Sprint). Tethering with the iPad works like a charm.

Khannr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prchased a HTC Desire HD which has built in wi-fi sotware which allows my iPad to tether to it wouthout any problems.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick search on here about tethering would have answered these questions rapidly, at least via WiFi. Including the use of WMWiFiRouter.
You'd have to be desperate to tether by bluetooth.

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Larry

I have a Blackberry Tour with Verizon.

The "WM" in WMWiFiRouter stands for "Windows Mobile," of course, so this may not be the program for you. I don't know much about Blackberries-what OS do they use?

Maybe do a search on tethering with a BB phone? Or check the WMwifirouter site to see if your phone is supported?

Larry

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
evo had no problems using wifi tether. streamed some "adult educational videos" without a hiccup.;)

Most reactions

Latest posts