What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large videos stuck in Ipad2 camera roll

stacybrasher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recorded several long videos with my iPad2 camera for work. Now that I have edited them and gotten them ready to share with my team I can't! I can't find a way to get them off the ipad. Dropbox doesn't work because you can't download a file larger than 180mb. The files are too big to send to youtube. I tried the PhotoTransfer app which normally does a great job with smaller files, but not with these.
I need to get these files onto my Windows XP computer. I tried going through iTunes and it tries to download the file but after it says 100% transferred I then get an error saying the transfer failed.
REALLY NEED TO BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THESE FILES!!!!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stacybrasher said:
I recorded several long videos with my iPad2 camera for work. Now that I have edited them and gotten them ready to share with my team I can't! I can't find a way to get them off the ipad. Dropbox doesn't work because you can't download a file larger than 180mb. The files are too big to send to youtube. I tried the PhotoTransfer app which normally does a great job with smaller files, but not with these.
I need to get these files onto my Windows XP computer. I tried going through iTunes and it tries to download the file but after it says 100% transferred I then get an error saying the transfer failed.
REALLY NEED TO BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THESE FILES!!!!

Courtesy Apple support forum:

bkim028
Re: Can't copy large video files FROM iPhone to PC
May 29, 2010 2:15 AM (in response to modocsot)
Hi guys, I've been wondering about this too. It seems like iphone is not designed for recording 15min videos But I found a way to get the video off the phone.
The photos and video files are stored in 'Backup' folder ("C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ (for win xp)) just before iphone is sync'ed with itunes program. So, after you sync it, find the backup folder, try sorting the files according to size, and find the big files which should be the video files. Then copy them to your folder & rename them to .mov extension.
I've done it just now and it works perfectly.
(Source: http://superuser.com/questions/32248/transfer-video-off-iphone-3gs)
ACER Travelmate 3000, Windows XP

Last edited:
OP
stacybrasher

stacybrasher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'll give it a try in the morning. Fingers crossed!

OP
stacybrasher

stacybrasher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I tried it and had high hopes but I must be missing something. It seems to have transferred over but the new file on my computer says the file size is "0" and it won't play. I really want to try this again. Any thoughts?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this....

When you attach your iPad to your PC you should see a device in windows explorer bearing the name of your iPad.

If you double click you should have access to the camera roll and only the camera roll where photos and videos are stored.

Try performing a copy from the iPad device to a local folder on the PC.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Well that's great news and thanks to Midranger for helping you through this. Enjoy!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

nanowiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am running into problems with offloading photos I have stored in my iPad after I upgraded to 5.0.1.

I use the iPad to offload photos and videos from my camera's SD card using the camera connection kit daily during my vacation trips. I used to be able to connect the iPad to my PC(Win 7) with the USB cable and copy all the files from the iPad using Windows Explorer from the Apple iPad\Internal Storage\DCIM folder. There would be multiple folders under DCIM, typically one for each instance I uploaded form the SD card. Now, with the 5.0.1 firmware, the DCIM folder is showing zero content. Properties on the DCIM shows 0 files. But properties on the Internal Storage folder shows plenty of used space. If I right click on the Apple iPad and select Import pictures and video, it would say "No new pictures or videos were found on this device".

I connected my iPad to my old laptop running Windows XP and that prompted the camera connection wizard to show up. I was able to copy most of the files off to the laptop except for the large video files. The small video files copied OK, but the large files would copy to 100% and then comes out with an error. I retried several times with no success and had to skip those files. I tried using Windows Explorer on the XP system and saw no files under the DCIM folder either.

I searched long and hard on the internet for a solution and found the app Easy Transfer by J R Mobile. But Their WEB transfer WiFI connect is very hard to establish and their upload to Dropbox will crash the app if the file size is larger than ~10MB. It has been 2 days and their tech support has not responded.

What is the best way to offload photos from the iPad to the PC? Now with IOS 5.0.1, Windows Explorer does not work anymore.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nanowiz said:
I am running into problems with offloading photos I have stored in my iPad after I upgraded to 5.0.1.

I use the iPad to offload photos and videos from my camera's SD card using the camera connection kit daily during my vacation trips. I used to be able to connect the iPad to my PC(Win 7) with the USB cable and copy all the files from the iPad using Windows Explorer from the Apple iPad\Internal Storage\DCIM folder. There would be multiple folders under DCIM, typically one for each instance I uploaded form the SD card. Now, with the 5.0.1 firmware, the DCIM folder is showing zero content. Properties on the DCIM shows 0 files. But properties on the Internal Storage folder shows plenty of used space. If I right click on the Apple iPad and select Import pictures and video, it would say "No new pictures or videos were found on this device".

I connected my iPad to my old laptop running Windows XP and that prompted the camera connection wizard to show up. I was able to copy most of the files off to the laptop except for the large video files. The small video files copied OK, but the large files would copy to 100% and then comes out with an error. I retried several times with no success and had to skip those files. I tried using Windows Explorer on the XP system and saw no files under the DCIM folder either.

I searched long and hard on the internet for a solution and found the app Easy Transfer by J R Mobile. But Their WEB transfer WiFI connect is very hard to establish and their upload to Dropbox will crash the app if the file size is larger than ~10MB. It has been 2 days and their tech support has not responded.

What is the best way to offload photos from the iPad to the PC? Now with IOS 5.0.1, Windows Explorer does not work anymore.

Unsure if they can help but see http://www.ipadftp.com/ for various iOS file transfer utilities.

jaypriebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another Similar Problem

Try this....

When you attach your iPad to your PC you should see a device in windows explorer bearing the name of your iPad.

If you double click you should have access to the camera roll and only the camera roll where photos and videos are stored.

Try performing a copy from the iPad device to a local folder on the PC.

I have a similar issue with unedited raw footage taken on an iPhone 4s. I have two clips of around 20GB each (1.5 hours) that I recorded directly on phone. I tried to navigate to the Camera roll and sub folders, and I can see all other image and video files in those folders with the iPhone connected to my windows 7 or 8 PCs, but I can not see the two large clips. Assume it has something to do with the file size being over 4GB. Obviously, the videos are too big for email, youtube, etc.

Most reactions

Latest posts