What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop just died

Rattlehead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys
So my laptop battery just bit the big one and it's gonna cost €180 to replace. I can get a display model iPad 2 for €200, only really use my laptop for updating my iPod and iPhone and doing homework (in PDF format). Just seeing what everyone thinks, my laptop still works when plugged in but isn't portable anymore. Should I get an iPad and utilise the laptop as a secondary device or replace the battery?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i would get the iPad,the iPad is portable so you wouldn't need the laptop except as you say for updating when plugged in.

GirlieGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rattlehead said:
Hi guys
So my laptop battery just bit the big one and it's gonna cost €180 to replace. I can get a display model iPad 2 for €200, only really use my laptop for updating my iPod and iPhone and doing homework (in PDF format). Just seeing what everyone thinks, my laptop still works when plugged in but isn't portable anymore. Should I get an iPad and utilise the laptop as a secondary device or replace the battery?

I'd get the iPad and keep the laptop. Especially for backing up your device.

fleur07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rattlehead said:
Hi guys

I think I would get the iPad and keep the laptop too, good luck with your decision.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now you've got that 'good' excuse to get an iPad!
Mine was; I've always wanted one of those things and now the price for the iPad 2 has gone down $100. What a deal! Sooo,
now I has one and is happy.

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest I don't think iPads could ever replace laptops

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
-Steve Jobs D8 conference 2007:

"When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks, because that’s what you needed on the farm,” Jobs said at D8. “But as vehicles started to be used in the urban centers, cars got more popular. Innovations like automatic transmission and power steering and things that you didn’t care about in a truck as much started to become paramount in cars….PCs are going to be like trucks. They’re still going to be around, they’re still going to have a lot of value, but they’re going to be used by one out of x people."

Mr. Job's analogy remains spot on. However I believe he woefully underestimated how quickly the tablet medium, and the iPad more particularly, would become the Lamborghini of the category effectively leaving all competitors in the dust and standing in the pits picking their jaws up off the pavement :)

It is my belief (misguided as anyone may deem appropriate) that tablet computing has miles to go before it even begins to approach its full potential. I also believe in due time home computers as we now know them will all but become extinct. I believe they will be replaced by a hybrid device, one that merges the portability and convenience of tablet devices with the additional processing power and peripherals users either require or have been conditioned to believe are necessary for a device to be considered a real "computer". This category of device is already showing up in the marketplace but has yet to strike the perfect balance between tablet and PC. They will find that sweet spot and when they do I believe it will be game over for desktop devices as we know them.

http://tablet.pcmag.com/?ref=297876&url=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404406,00.asp

Last edited:

Fedricwalls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest I don't think iPads could ever replace laptops
True, iPad can't replace the laptop and its utilities. iPad can make your work more easier when you are on traveling and outing. Take your laptop, as well as also keep a iPad, now its affordable.

ScottAWoodard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
scott-woodardblog.blogspot.com
I wonder if iPad vs. laptop/PC will become the great debate (forgive me if it already is here; I'm new to the forum). In our household, we're trying the experiment of going only with our iPads (a 2 and a 3). We've been at it since August last year. So far, it's worked, but not without some minor challenges. We're not great technoGeeks - we don't do app / program development. But we do create some content (blog posts, articles, etc.), so it fits our needs. I'm about to take on an assignment where I'll need to draft documents that are emailed to clients and interface with their remote server. My hope is an investment in a laptop is NOT in my future.

~ Scott

digitalexplr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is now my traveling device. But there are many things that just can't be done conveniently on the Pad. It doesn't replace the laptop or desk top, rather it is more of an extension to the other two.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I could never be without my mbp,for instance i hate the copy and paste on ipad,its a doddle on the pro and i prefer a proper keypad.

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the new iPad , but I believe that in the next couple of years that the newer iPads will get better, and better. This iPad 3 is just a sample of whats to come

Most reactions

Latest posts