Laptop just died

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Rattlehead, May 15, 2012.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys
    So my laptop battery just bit the big one and it's gonna cost €180 to replace. I can get a display model iPad 2 for €200, only really use my laptop for updating my iPod and iPhone and doing homework (in PDF format). Just seeing what everyone thinks, my laptop still works when plugged in but isn't portable anymore. Should I get an iPad and utilise the laptop as a secondary device or replace the battery?

2. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i would get the iPad,the iPad is portable so you wouldn't need the laptop except as you say for updating when plugged in.

3. GirlieGirl

GirlieGirl
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'd get the iPad and keep the laptop. Especially for backing up your device.

4. fleur07

fleur07
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    I think I would get the iPad and keep the laptop too, good luck with your decision.

5. cruiser111

cruiser111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Now you've got that 'good' excuse to get an iPad!
    Mine was; I've always wanted one of those things and now the price for the iPad 2 has gone down $100. What a deal! Sooo,
    now I has one and is happy.

6. cellur111

cellur111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    To be honest I don't think iPads could ever replace laptops

7. reahn

reahn
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    +1....!

8. mannyberrios

mannyberrios
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I think it will

9. followthesapper

followthesapper
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Even Steve Jobs said that "...the iPad will never replace the laptop completely, but it will make them less important."

10. Midranger4

Midranger4
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    -Steve Jobs D8 conference 2007:

"When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks, because that’s what you needed on the farm,” Jobs said at D8. “But as vehicles started to be used in the urban centers, cars got more popular. Innovations like automatic transmission and power steering and things that you didn’t care about in a truck as much started to become paramount in cars….PCs are going to be like trucks. They’re still going to be around, they’re still going to have a lot of value, but they’re going to be used by one out of x people."

Mr. Job's analogy remains spot on. However I believe he woefully underestimated how quickly the tablet medium, and the iPad more particularly, would become the Lamborghini of the category effectively leaving all competitors in the dust and standing in the pits picking their jaws up off the pavement :)

It is my belief (misguided as anyone may deem appropriate) that tablet computing has miles to go before it even begins to approach its full potential. I also believe in due time home computers as we now know them will all but become extinct. I believe they will be replaced by a hybrid device, one that merges the portability and convenience of tablet devices with the additional processing power and peripherals users either require or have been conditioned to believe are necessary for a device to be considered a real "computer". This category of device is already showing up in the marketplace but has yet to strike the perfect balance between tablet and PC. They will find that sweet spot and when they do I believe it will be game over for desktop devices as we know them.

http://tablet.pcmag.com/?ref=297876&url=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404406,00.asp

#10 Midranger4, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012