What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knowing what you know NOW ~ would you still buy your ipad?

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am biased, so not sure if my response is more honest, or me just being negative.... It would help to evaluate if the people who say yes are traditional Apple computer users or PC. I am a pc user so I still have issues with the propriety nature of Apple products, especially iTunes, just in general the way things are "controlled" , The tablet market however appears as though it is going to be saturated with proprietary OS for each tablet manufacturer along with apps for each so I don't see any consistency any time soon....

Oh here I go again I am rambling on again, I guess urge short answer is no I wouldn't buy it.

I'm kind of with you there. PC users, no desire to ever switch to Mac (don't have time for the learning curve, hassling with boot camp for specialty programs I use for work that are Windows only etc.).

That walled garden crap is one thing that kept me from getting an iPad 1. But I've decided to give in and get an iPad 2.

Android tablets just haven't caught up, are mostly widescreen and designed for landscape use and I need a portrait focused tablet to work with documents and PDFs, the Android app store lags way behind etc. Add in that MS apparently isn't doing a Windows Tablet until late 2012 at the earliest, and I just said screw it and decided to go with an iPad 2 as it does most of what I need in a tablet anyway and I can probably jailbreak to reduce some annoyances.

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would have purchased it much sooner than I did had I'd know how much I love using it. I avoided buying anything Apple for many years.
When it came out I thought just another overpriced Apple product. A friend told me about his and how his family used it, I was very interested.
Around Christmas I got an e-mail about the Black Friday discount Apple was offering. I did't buy it but kept thinking about buying one. I won the company annual poker tourney and had some extra to spend on myself. I kicked myself for not getting one at the discount but found I could get a refurbished one. I thought about it some more and when the price on the refurbished one dropped just before Christmas I bought one and it got to me two days before Christmas. I use it every day and have done more reading than I have in years. It's a great piece of tech,I'll wait for 3 before I buy again, but I am no longer an Apple virgin.

Last edited:

treker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
30 Year PC User...about to buy ipad 2

I have been building my own computers since 1977 always using MS. But I always loved the design of Apple products ever since the Apple 1 and 2. They have the VERY BEST designers in the business. But have always been too overpriced and 'locked up' for this computer user. Until i ventured into the 'dark side' as my buddy calls it. I bought an 8gb ipod touch two months ago. I like it. It is very useable for my traveling pc. Emails, Skype and texting are fine. Surfing is doable but not enjoyable. Enter the ipad 2. I will be buying one on Fri. At $500 it will be interesting to see if it can become my only traveling pc. Surfing on 10in screen seems like it might work very well. And Skype and all the other apps look even better than on the small ipod. And did I say, it was only $500. Easy to justify an experiment. What I don't like is the forced itunes. Maybe have to venture into jailbreaking and see if that offers some added value. But the design of the ipad 2 is just fantastic. Apple has another design winner!!

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GeeWillikers said:
Absolutely. I was an early adopter and have grown to depend on my Pad more than I ever thought I would.

Great device.

I waited about 2 weeks LOL. I definitely use it way more than expected to the point that I really only use my main computer for processing photo files and working on our books (self employed)

I'm a long long time Win user and never had an Apple product until a 4GB Nano traded for an 8GB quickly and then the largest Ipod Classic. I bought a 3rd gen Touch and knew I would love an Ipad but had no idea how much. I'm not moving to Apple for my main computer because I've worked with the same 2 computer guys for years and, as I tell them, I know where they live LOL. They build and service mine and have saved me money and time so I'm a PC user for a good while longer. But I love my Ipad and Touch.

Last edited:

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I most certainly would. I was chomping at the bit to get one and I love it even more than I thought I would.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd still buy the iPad but there are a few dozen apps I wouldn't! For example: all the streaming apps that will be made obsolete by IOS 4.3, the several printing apps that were nixed by 4.2. Not that they were expensive but I'm not too fond of wasting...

Aladyleyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh definitely, I love it so much. In fact, I actually wish I had bought it ealier, as it would have been extremely useful for me as a student because it would pretty much allow me to have all my notes with me at all times.

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Knowing what I know now - I. Kicking myself that I didn't buy my iPad sooner!! I love my iPad

Most reactions

Latest posts