What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knowing what you know NOW ~ would you still buy your ipad?

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a PC user for many years. I do not own a MAC,
And I probabLy never will. Would I buy an IPad again? Not sure..wireless is exactly what is says, wire-LESS. The touch screen can become irritating. Need too many apps to get it working the way you want, so on and so on. I guess it's a 50-50% right now. I might look at others, because the market is just taking off. I'm using my IPad right now and it works, however there are times it does not, so we shall see.

Snafu169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that was negative, that was clear and concise and in the con category. You didn't just so "no flash, no good!"....thank you for that.

lol...really? I didn't think I had it in me.... I've done my flash venting... (for now... Heh heh)... Oh I use this thing everyday, I just get grumpy when I can do something on it that I can do on a pc... Oops I'm hinting at flash.... See what you did!!! I blame you

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
..wireless is exactly what is says, wire-LESS.
So exactly what kind of wire-LESS issues are you having.?

The touch screen can become irritating.
So exactly what kind of touch screen issues are you having?

Need too many apps to get it working the way you want
You need "apps" or programs to get any computer to work the way you want. A computer with just an operating system is pretty much useless until you install programs that tell it what to do. This is true with Windows, OSX, Linux and even with.... (gasp!)... Android!

I'm using my IPad right now and it works, however there are times it does not, so we shall see.
So exactly what is not working with your iPad? To just say that it does not work isn't being very helpful, its just complaining.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.. It would help to evaluate if the people who say yes are traditional Apple computer users or PC. I am a pc user so I still have issues with the propriety nature of Apple products, especially iTunes, just in general the way things are "controlled" ,

This is my first Apple product ~ Everyone I know around me has iPods, iPhones, iSomething ~

But ~

Even they will admit....I have the icoolest.:D

Signed ~

imagesjpg2.jpg

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wakawaka said:
Yes, in a heartbeat!

I can't wait for the iPad II to hit the shelf. I'll be picking one up, along side my 27" LED mac :D

Not sure what I'll still be using my current iPad for.. maybe a real coaster??

Good idea, a coaster with a rounded back. This way you can spin your beer mug to the right orientation in a jiffy! :p

Last time I visited, my nephew and his friend were paying an iPhone game face to face on my ipad and spun it to the opponent in mid game while taking turns. That's about the only use I've ever found to that. Because of that back all my cases now have a bulge and look...well, awful!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The touch screen can become irritating.

Need too many apps to get it working the way you want
You need "apps" or programs to get any computer to work the way you want. A computer with just an operating system is pretty much useless until you install programs that tell it what to do. This is true with Windows, OSX, Linux and even with.... (gasp!)... Android!

I'm using my IPad right now and it works, however there are times it does not, so we shall see.
So exactly what is not working with your iPad? To just say that it does not work isn't being very helpful, its just complaining.

I think it was made clear what my complaints are. You know what I mean by wire-LESS, just look at all the posts on this forum about wireless issues. Apps galore, touch the screen again and again sometimes before something responds, etc, etc. Then other times it works perfect. The connectivity issue so many are having is my #1 complaint, and frankly was not something I expected.

spgary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been bulky touch screen tablet pc's around but the reason why iPad ticks is that it dared to offer the most basic functionalities an average common user would like to see in a device. Light, robust, handy and unto the point.*

I love technology but at times, I just want to relax, slow down, lay down on my beanbag and scroll through the web. That is luxury and needless to say, it doesn't come cheap.

I have used PC's all my life and still wouldn't go for a Mac, have owned almost every gadget that came along from palms to pocketPC. I must say that iPad is one of the first gadgets that is just just just.....A brilliant Simple device.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think it was made clear what my complaints are. You know what I mean by wire-LESS, just look at all the posts on this forum about wireless issues. Apps galore, touch the screen again and again sometimes before something responds, etc, etc. Then other times it works perfect. The connectivity issue so many are having is my #1 complaint, and frankly was not something I expected.

Maybe yours is defective...neither of my iPads have these problems, nor do any of my friends/family.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to say that those that don't feel it is productive or possible to replace most functions of a laptop unless you are a true power user just haven't delved deep enough IMO. i have 2 friends that have Ipads and just wouldn't have ever been using them like they do now for work without me doing the research for apps for them snd showing them how to incorporate them into their work. (one is a Mac person, the other a PC). . They just hadn't figured out all the things they need to do daily are possible with the Ipads and didn't spend the time finding out if there are spps that will do that function. Now one of them doesn't know how she got along without hers, the other tends to use her Mac which is also nearby at hime, but the Ipad out or traveling

The other place I see an irritation is closing an app and opening another time after time if you are working between two. They (and my husband) just don't "get it" with the task bar. i can move between apps accomplishing what I need quickly. I'm a very long time PC user and normally work with a number of programs open moving back and forth between them. Maybe its juet more practice or maybe even more interest in seeing what's possible with the Ipad. OR---maybe its because I'm lazy and want to do most things without walking upstairs to my/our offices and booting my main computer or open my laptop LOL. The Ipad is almost always within grasp whether here or out and about or travelling, instant on and I've learned my way around the apps to do what I want/need to do. Admittedly, flash isn't a big issue for me I do prefer to work on spreadsheets on my main or laptop though, but have them available on Ipad via Dropbox.

Diane

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to say that those that don't feel it is productive or possible to replace most functions of a laptop unless you are a true power user just haven't delved deep enough IMO.

I think that this is true and I have managed, using GoodReader, FileBrowser, DropBox and SplashTop, to replace most PC functions but not all. Simply being able to copy files to and from portable HDDs and SD cards would make life much simpler and more "normal".

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depending on the price. But if I hadn't bought any iOS apps, I would probably buy the Xoom for easier file-management instead.
The Xoom costs $1200.00. Is file management that important to you to pay $370 more than the most expensive iPad?

That rumor of the Xoom costing $1200 is ridiculous. It was a placeholder price put in the Best Buy system so if it leaked out people wouldn't know the real price. They always do that with anticipated products. I remember seeing the PS3 in a leaked Best Buy system screen shot that said it was going to be $999.

Most reactions