What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knitting a cover for my ipad 2... I think I have the magnet figured out!

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm knitting a felt case for my iPad 2. It's just temporary until the bambo0 case I ordered comes (yes, I'm getting the case by GROVE , I'll post a review when it comes.)

The back of my case will be cotton knit and the front will be felted wool, trimmed to be shed-free. I think I have the magnets figured out, and I'll use them in my case design so when I slip the ipad in it tuns off. I need to felt the magnets in to the cloth I'm knitting so they don't scratch the screen.

I used a small fridge magnet to sleep and wake the ipad, it only works in one very specific spot... the rest of the magnets seem to be for holding the apple cover closed-- I'm excited to see how 3rd-party vendors and crafters like myself use these magnets! For one thing, they will help keep my ipad snugly inside of the case. I think the Apple covers are nice... but they are a bit boring and generic for my taste. I want something that feels natural in my hands... and I want something that protects the back from scratches in my bag.

I'll post a photo when I'm done with the project.

:)

Anyone else making a case?

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fmmrz5 said:
I thought a review somewhere forewarned not to use standard fridge magnets

The only kind of magnet I would watch out for are the super-powerful neodymium magnets, which are extremely strong and I would never let near any device. Otherwise, the ordinary earth magnets you find everywhere should work just fine.

mikeinrichmond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fmmrz5 said:
I thought a review somewhere forewarned not to use standard fridge magnets

The only kind of magnet I would watch out for are the super-powerful neodymium magnets, which are extremely strong and I would never let near any device. Otherwise, the ordinary earth magnets you find everywhere should work just fine.

+1...I'd be surprised to find out that anything but a big fridge magnet is in the 'smart' covers..

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the look of the grove case. The pattern on the leather looks cool.

I'd like to see a photo of the finished homemade case. Everyone I've tried ends up looking so dodgy and I never have faith in the protective capabilities!

OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
8nobody8 said:
I like the look of the grove case. The pattern on the leather looks cool.

I'd like to see a photo of the finished homemade case. Everyone I've tried ends up looking so dodgy and I never have faith in the protective capabilities!

I complete the case. I ended up not using the magnets since I could not keep them still enough... Hence they turned the iPad off and on randomly... I'm going to try again... But I need to get some very very stiff felting material. Let me see if I can post a photo... It's pretty much a big iPod sock with a button and some plastic quilted inside for stiffness.

It will do till my grove case comes... And maybe by then I'll know how to get a stiff enough cloth so that my design works...

OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok here are the photos. It's not super fancy but it's thick and soft and reenforced with a stiff piece of plastic quilted inside, (I used some pretty Japanese fabric from my stash... Then got all misty eyed thinking of the tragedy there... Such a beautiful city... But I digress...) I had the magnets in there too, and it would turn on when removed and off when slipped in... I was so excited! But sadly the elasticity of the fabric would make it turn on if I shifted it in my bag too ... So magnets have been removed.

At least I have a place to keep it, till I sort this out, I'm happy with the colors and texture, and the fabric keeps the screen a little cleaner.

I'll call this version 0.5 ... Next up...1.0

Attachments

• image-3497363300.jpg
    image-3497363300.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 663
  • image-3189645901.jpg
    image-3189645901.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 577

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Futurebird said:
Ok here are the photos. It's not super fancy but it's thick and soft and reenforced with a stiff piece of plastic quilted inside, (I used some pretty Japanese fabric from my stash... Then got all misty eyed thinking of the tragedy there... Such a beautiful city... But I digress...) I had the magnets in there too, and it would turn on when removed and off when slipped in... I was so excited! But sadly the elasticity of the fabric would make it turn on if I shifted it in my bag too ... So magnets have been removed.

At least I have a place to keep it, till I sort this out, I'm happy with the colors and texture, and the fabric keeps the screen a little cleaner.

I'll call this version 0.5 ... Next up...1.0

I love the colors! Well done. Looks great. Should keep you i baby safe and sound

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you did a great job. I love to see people doing anything custom with their iPads, and especially pushing innovation. Even though a magnet might not seem like a big deal to some people, I think it's exactly the kind of thing that pushes technology and innovation.

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks a lot like the cover my girlfriend made for my Kindle. Very nice, though I found with my kindle case that it can get snagged sometimes.

Attachments

• image-1426893918.jpg
    image-1426893918.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 588

Most reactions