What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't come pre-loaded on the iPad 3,but it is a free app.There are both free and paid books and audio books available for purchase in the kindle store.If you already have a kindle book reader,all the content you already have is available for download to the kindle app.You don't have to pay again for books you already purchased.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just be aware that not all content bought from the Kindle store works on the iPad version of Kindle. You have to read the fine print of each item you buy.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the other hand,some books are even better on the Kindle iPad app.For example,I recently purchased Audubon's birds of North America and the colour illustrations are stunning.Much better than the black and white versions viewable on a Kindle book reader.

browe2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So my wife wanted a Kindle for her birthday but I bought her the new iPad instead given it has the Kindle app and can do so much more. I've never used a Kindle but from using the Kindle app, I've noticed there is a big part missing...getting content. How will she purchase her content? Also, is iBooks basically the same thing?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to the kindle store on the amazon website.Any items purchased there can be downloaded to you Kindle iPad app.On the home screen of the Kindle app there are 2buttons at the bottom of the screen,cloud and device.Click on cloud and any purchased books,not yet downloaded will be there.Click on the selected item to download it.Clicking on the device button will show you a lst of books and othe items already downloaded.To read a book,click on it in the list.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So my wife wanted a Kindle for her birthday but I bought her the new iPad instead given it has the Kindle app and can do so much more. I've never used a Kindle but from using the Kindle app, I've noticed there is a big part missing...getting content. How will she purchase her content? Also, is iBooks basically the same thing?

Yes, iBooks and the Kindle app are both the same thing - in that they are readers that can read e-books.

However, the apps are proprietary to each company (iBooks to Apple, Kindle to Amazon). If the ebook has Digital Rights Management (DRM) coding loaded on them - and most do from either place - then you can only read books from Apple in iBooks and only books from Amazon work in the Kindle app.

Either app can read non-DRM books, as long as they are in the proper format for that reader (i.e. the Kindle app can't read e-pub books).

Generally, people have more than one app for the DRM coding reason. So, with multiple apps, they can then shop around and find the best price for the ebook...

Marilyn

browe2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, iBooks and the Kindle app are both the same thing - in that they are readers that can read e-books.

However, the apps are proprietary to each company (iBooks to Apple, Kindle to Amazon). If the ebook has Digital Rights Management (DRM) coding loaded on them - and most do from either place - then you can only read books from Apple in iBooks and only books from Amazon work in the Kindle app.

Either app can read non-DRM books, as long as they are in the proper format for that reader (i.e. the Kindle app can't read e-pub books).

Generally, people have more than one app for the DRM coding reason. So, with multiple apps, they can then shop around and find the best price for the ebook...

Marilyn
Marilyn...the key sentence is "So with multiple apps they can shop around". That's the problem with the Kindle app. She would need to fire up a browser to search for or buy content whereas with iBooks she can just stay in the app. I think that is where she will probably hang out the most!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn...the key sentence is "So with multiple apps they can shop around". That's the problem with the Kindle app. She would need to fire up a browser to search for or buy content whereas with iBooks she can just stay in the app. I think that is where she will probably hang out the most!

Good point. :D

Marilyn

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will admit I prefer the Kindle app because there are more choices in books. To make it easy, go to the Kindle book page in Safari, then click on the bookmark icon at top and choose to put it on the desktop. I have all my book and reading apps grouped in one album so I put the Kindle app and the Kindle bookstore Safari icon next to each other. When using them together I just use the double click of the Home button to allow me to move back and forth between the two apps easily.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bookmark the following in Safari on your iPad: http://www.amazon.com/iPadKindleStore. It is exactly the same layout as the Store in the Android Kindle App. The only difference is, you're doing it from a browser. Apple actually made them take out the in-app Store.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Kindle app on my iPad. Just before lunch, I received a book offer I decided to buy. I clicked on the web site page in the email, hit buy with one click, because it was set on download to my Kindle iPad, and the book was loaded on my iPad within less time than it took to type this.

Most reactions