What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle iPad App Gets Updated With Multitasking Features and Side-Loading of Content

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

PCWorld reports today that Amazon’s free Kindle app for iPad and iPhone has had a big update. The new version, version 2.5, introduces multitasking support, enabling you to continue downloading books while the app is running in the background, assuming your iPad is running iOS 4 of course. Support for downloading millions of free and out-of-copyright books from Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive and other sources has also been added, but possibly the biggest change is the addition of the ability to open supported files from Safari and Mail, or to use File Sharing in iTunes to transfer your files to the Kindle app. Other minor tweaks include improved image zoom and a “New†book indicator.

The Kindle iPad and iPhone app gives you access to over 775,000 books in the Kindle Store, including best sellers and new releases, and uses Amazon Whispersync to automatically sync your last page read, bookmarks, notes and highlights across devices.

Click here to download the free app: Kindle for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: iTunes, Kindle App Gets Side-loading, Background Downloading - PCWorld Business Center

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Awesome upgrade. Another feature for iPad users who prefer Kindle as their main reader for public domain.

Abrennan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.eyepadulation.com
zorah said:
Awesome upgrade. Another feature for iPad users who prefer Kindle as their main reader for public domain.

I just updated to the new kindle app and uploaded about 20 books I have been waiting to read. They look great and work perfectly.

HappyFra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded my Kindle app, and tried to transfer some pdf files using iTunes. Apparently everything works properly, but I don't see anything new appearing in my app. Any idea of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Al Stevens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could someone please explain how to get the new Kindle app to work? I've downloaded it to my PC and iTunes says it's there and current. Yet I can't find anywhere in iTunes that lets me upload Kindle files to the iPad. (My iPad does not have 3G, but I went to a wifi location and let it do whatever it wanted to do, which didn't seem to be anything.)

There also doesn't seem to be anywhere in the iPad where it tells you what version of an app is loaded into the iPad.

So, how does it work? Where do I go in iTunes to sync a .prc file into the iPad?

Al Stevens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll add that dragging the .prc to the iPad/Books folder doesn't work, and, yes, I do have the iPad connected to the PC.

Someone mentioned "file sharing." Where in iTunes is that?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle is not a "generic" reader. It is used for downloading and reading stuff you buy from Amazon. Other than actually getting the Kindle app itself, iTunes never enters the equation after that point.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could someone please explain how to get the new Kindle app to work? I've downloaded it to my PC and iTunes says it's there and current. Yet I can't find anywhere in iTunes that lets me upload Kindle files to the iPad. (My iPad does not have 3G, but I went to a wifi location and let it do whatever it wanted to do, which didn't seem to be anything.)

There also doesn't seem to be anywhere in the iPad where it tells you what version of an app is loaded into the iPad.

So, how does it work? Where do I go in iTunes to sync a .prc file into the iPad?

The version of the Kindle app is located in the Info section lower righthand corner of the Home screen within the Kindle app. (i with a circle)
Just click on i>About, and there you go.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The iPad version of the Kindle app is different to the PC or Mac version. You install the iPad version of the Kindle app directly from the iPad (no PC or iTunes needed). Go to your iPad, click on the App Store app and type 'Kindle' into the App Store search field. You'll see the iPad version of the Kindle app appear and you can download it (it's free!). In the UK you get a couple of free books to start you off, including the Oxford American English Dictionary!

Tim
Scotland

Al Stevens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, I've now done all that. Now, can someone please explain how I can side-load a .prc file from my PC to the iPad as described in the original post?

...or to use File Sharing in iTunes to transfer your files to the Kindle app.

Where is the File Sharing feature in iTunes, PC version?

Al Stevens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The version of the Kindle app is located in the Info section lower righthand corner of the Home screen within the Kindle app. (i with a circle)
Just click on i>About, and there you go.

Thanks. I have version 2.5.

Al Stevens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this must be a Mac-only thing. I deleted and re-downloaded the Kindle app into iTunes. It still says its release date is 3/4/2009.

Most reactions

Latest posts