Kindle for the iPad

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Finnedog

Finnedog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    For better or worse I have spent way to much time on this forum and the web in general the past 3-4 weeks looking for scraps of info on this stupid gadget. Whether sitting at my desk with a pain in my neck or sitting in a LazyBoy with a hot MacBook on my lap I have thought I would rather have a 1.5 pound iPad rather than the computer I am using. I can hardly wait until it gets here.

We should take a poll for the people who have decided to not pre-order an iPad to see how many have ordered one within 10 days of getting their hands on one.

2. jhowton

jhowton
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the Amazon "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_286249822_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000490441&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=18FRKW2RNTHGQC4WAAZ0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1252722222&pf_rd_i=133141011"]Kindle Apps For Tablet Computers[/ame]" page is up.

3. jhowton

jhowton
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
  4. rob the elder

rob the elder
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    quote]

Turn it sideways and it is about the same size as reading a paperback book. What's the problem?[/QUOTE]

I have my IPAD on order, but I can answer your question. A paper back book will not break if you drop it, it contains no glass.

A paper back book will git into your pocket.

I have a computer case that I carry when I travel, but it has a computer in it.

Many people have trouble reading books on a computer screen, like my wife. She will not even try my Kindle because she has had such bad experience trying to read an LCD screen at work all day long. It gives her headaches.

Most paperback books are light and easy to hold in one hand. I have yet to try the experience with the new IPAD and need to give it a try before I say it is a replacement for my paperback book like the Kindle is.

The other thing to consider is having had my Kindle for a long time, the book you most want to read is not available in electronic format. Unless you are reading the same book that everyone else is reading, or a "classic" then you cant get it in any format but plain old paper.

History books, of which I have hundreds from various publishers - none of them are available in electronic format.

Most technical books and manuals are not available.

Murphy's law holds true. Heck, even a lot of popular literature is not availabe yet.

I think that as an in home, lug around web browser, watching streaming video while in the bathtub (where I do read with my Kindle) or chacking the news at bed time while in bed, I think the IPAD will be great. Also I can repurpose the IPOD in the bedroom since I can stream my music from ITUNES and have access to all my playlists and all 7000 songs.

I am looking forward to getting the IPAD but I think that for myself, the jury is out on wether it is a great electronic book device or not. If it turns out its great, then I can reserve the Kindle for when I am on the road and need the portability.