What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle app

dso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I delete a book from the Kindle app after I have read without deleting it from Amazon achives?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Be aware that the book is only on your iPad if it shows up on the Home screen (in the app). The books listed on the Archive screen are only a list of the ebooks you've purchased at Amazon.com.

You can not remove books from the Archive list without actually deleting the entries on the Amazon.com site, and if you do that you (probably) forfeit your ability to ever download them again.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another question on the Kindle App?

Could start a new thread but the question is probably a simple answer - I've put the Kindle app on my iPad2, and my wife & I have downloaded a half dozen 'free' books, mainly from Gutenberg.

Most of these books show up in the Kindle app w/ a generic blue icon that looks like a PDA - is there a way to change this icon (e.g. to the actual covers of the books)?

Thanks - :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know of any way to do it for the Kindle app.

If you got the books through the iBooks app, it is possible. Most of the Gutenberg books are available in the iBooks store. After the books have synced back to iTunes on the computer, you can right click on them, choose Get Info, and change the book cover in the Artworks tab. Or you can drag it to the album cover art at the bottom left of the main iTunes screen. A second sync will add the cover in iBooks.

I do this all the time for iBooks titles. I use a Google Image search for the book, and then drag the image I want to iTunes.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you can use Calibre free software to change book covers in the Kindle app. If there's not a Calibre contingent on this forum, there is one on MobileRead.com's forum.

I don't care what my book covers look like, so I don't bother.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know of any way to do it for the Kindle app.

If you got the books through the iBooks app, it is possible. Most of the Gutenberg books are available in the iBooks store. After the books have synced back to iTunes on the computer, you can right click on them, choose Get Info, and change the book cover in the Artworks tab. Or you can drag it to the album cover art at the bottom left of the main iTunes screen. A second sync will add the cover in iBooks.

I do this all the time for iBooks titles. I use a Google Image search for the book, and then drag the image I want to iTunes.

Thanks for the advice above - I've been using the same steps on my iPod for a while to get cover art on the album labels, so should have figure that the process would be similar.

I did download a couple 'free' books from the Apps store, changed the cover art, and did the syncing - work fine! Next time, I'll check the App store first. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice above - I've been using the same steps on my iPod for a while to get cover art on the album labels, so should have figure that the process would be similar.

I did download a couple 'free' books from the Apps store, changed the cover art, and did the syncing - work fine! Next time, I'll check the App store first. :)

No problem.

KayKayKay's suggestion about Calibre has merit. The problem, of course, is getting the book off, and back onto the Kindle.

It should be possible to use the computer version of the Kindle app (Windows or OSX) to download the book, find it on the computer (can be difficult given Amazon's often obscure naming habits), and then experiment in Calibre.

Once it is working you could use iTunes to transfer the book to the iPad. With the iPad selected, select the Apps tab, go to the File Sharing section, select the Kindle app and Add the book. No need to sync.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for a book cover, and I'm not interested enough to try it myself. But if you do try it and make it work, let us know. It's always good to know what it possible.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just re-download it from the original source onto your pc, or if it's from amazon then go to your online account settings and send it to the kindle pc app.

Run it through Calibre then email it back to your device using the free @kindle email address.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts