1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Kidproofing the Ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by jchunter, Nov 21, 2011.

1. jchunter

jchunter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My grandkids love my iPad and I'm getting concerned about the lack of security for the Settings folder. The kids could wreak a lot of havoc if they were to change my setup parameters.

Any ideas on security for the Setup folder?
  2. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    AFAIK, your only hope is jailbreaking the iPad. I suspect you already know about the "restrictions" features on the iPad. Otherwise, this problem falls into the general category of issues in which Apple's only answer is to purchase another iPad for each grandkid.
  3. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    the restrictions in settings should be good enough, and there is no way to delete anything stock.

or you can do what i do, create a folder and name it grandpa or daddy, and let them know to not enter there, or no more iPad.

but as jsh said, when we jailbreak, we have the opportunity to fully password lock any app or even folders.
  4. jduncan

jduncan iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I find it interesting that the stock version won't do that. I think Apple should hire the guys that develop the jail break stuff!
  5. scudder

scudder iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sometimes that is exactly what Apple does do!
  6. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Frankly though, jailbreaking is not an adequate strategy for most consumers. And my definite impression is that it is becoming more and more difficult to accomplish. (I've lived through the "rooting" issues in Android for several years and while it's an amusing hobby, it's not a recommended route for 99% of all consumers.)

The fundamental problem is that Apple failed to take into consideration the huge difference between a phone and a tablet in terms of its intended use. Few people, I suspect, share their phones with their children except in carefully monitored scenarios. That is simply not true for the iPad and Apple only makes it worse by marketing the iPad as a "family" device. Had I purchased a tablet solely for my own use, I might well have chosen a device with features the iPad lacks (e.g. expandable storage, a common file system). But the overwhelming advantage the iPad enjoys in terms of apps for kids was the deciding factor for me. To discover after the fact that the iPad lack fundamental features for multiple users was the biggest disappointment I had.
  7. dragon499

dragon499 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I was about to post a similar question on behalf of my father who lets his grandchildren play with his iphone. The little one ends up re-arraigning folders and apps. There should be a way to store some settings which can be reverted to.
  8. ipadbraincell

ipadbraincell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    best you make him very aware, as fellow doting grandad allowing free reign can cost very dear.

there are games with names designed to attract kids, which download for 'free' yet have in app purchases for $99 per pop to buy virtual 'gold'.

and yes while you can turn off in-aps purchases in settings, kids are smart once passed the initial password protection, they can go into settings and turn them back on again, in that case the cost was $1500.00 to a dad, and wacked up within 15 minutes.