What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kicked out of Safari

cmjacobs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad 1. While looking at a website in safari I will click to go to another page and, while it's loading, it will give me a black screen and then kick me out and go back to the iPad home screen. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be very frustrating! Any suggestions on what causes this? Appreciate any help or suggestions.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like memory.

Try closing down apps in the multitask bar, and rebooting. That might help.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Reaction score
This also happens to me, it's probably a glitch or something, it is frustrating sometimes, but it still works, if YouTube app videos won't load or something then I would try rebooting it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice,Amy, however, closing apps in the multitask bar is always a good idea first as they can use memory just by being there. The iPad 1 has half of the memory of the iPad 2 and the newer versions of iOS use more memory, so the iPad 1 is struggling.

You are right to recommend rebooting, as it tidies everything up once the system has been cleared.

Double press the home button, which will reveal the multitask bar. Long press on any app in the multitask bar, and then press the minus sign that appears on each of them. Once you have closed them all, press the home button again to bring the screen back to normal. Once you have done this, it might not be a bad idea to reboot the iPad. Hold down sleep/wake and home buttons together until the Apple logo appears, then release them and wait for the iPad to restart. This should sort out your problem apps.

If you want to copy and paste these instructions into Notes, you can use them with my compliments. You already know when to give them to people, and it will save you some typing.

Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Good advice,Amy, however, closing apps in the multitask bar is always a good idea first as they can use memory just by being there. The iPad 1 has half of the memory of the iPad 2 and the newer versions of iOS use more memory, so the iPad 1 is struggling.

You are right to recommend rebooting, as it tidies everything up once the system has been cleared.

If you want to copy and paste these instructions into Notes, you can use them with my compliments. You already know when to give them to people, and it will save you some typing.

Ok, thank you :)

OP
C

cmjacobs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank you so much Kevin for the great advice. I had no idea bout the multi-task bar and there were tons of apps there. So I closed them and rebooted and will see if that helps. Is there any setting that will clear out the multi-task bar automatically? I looked around but didn't see one. Irregardless, I won't forget to do that from now on. Thanks again!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. You cannot clear the multitask bar in one go, unfortunately, unless jailbroken. I believe there is a Cydia tweak that will allow this, but for stock iPads, we have to do them one at a time.

evatsu11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad 1. While looking at a website in safari I will click to go to another page and, while it's loading, it will give me a black screen and then kick me out and go back to the iPad home screen. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be very frustrating! Any suggestions on what causes this? Appreciate any help or suggestions.

I have a related problem. i run a business where two subscribers have a browser conflict on their desktop after accessing my site from their IPad. Specifically, after logging in from the IPad and then later trying to login from their desk top, they get a blank screen instead of their customer page. Any ideas?

Rickyboop

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Are you still having this problem? I still have it. It kicks me out so many times I am hating this iPad. I have done all things possible ... Which isn't much you can! I am starting to NOT recommending getting an iPad :(

Rickyboop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It kicks me out so many times I am hating this iPad. I have done all things possible ... Which isn't much. I am starting to NOT recommending getting an iPad. I have been using my iPad for three years and this issue has only started in the last six months. It litteraly kicks me out every few second after logging into Face Book. I cannot believe this is uncommon but from searching this is the only site to get answers from? Very odd. If you have sources that could help me that would be great! Thanks.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rickyboop said:
It kicks me out so many times I am hating this iPad. I have done all things possible ... Which isn't much. I am starting to NOT recommending getting an iPad. I have been using my iPad for three years and this issue has only started in the last six months. It litteraly kicks me out every few second after logging into Face Book. I cannot believe this is uncommon but from searching this is the only site to get answers from? Very odd. If you have sources that could help me that would be great! Thanks.

You haven't mentioned what you have tried Ricky. Did you do as was suggested above and close apps in the task bar? Have you reset your iPad ?
(and BTW you can edit your post by tapping just to the right of your avatar and select 'edit' from the pop up menu.) you could also download a free system app that will show you how much available RAM you have left, but you seem overloaded now so perhaps that is just going to make things worse. Let us know how you get on.

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi

Rickyboop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have done the usual. I am up to date on the latest version. I have the first generation iPad. 32Gb I have 22Gb free. I am on Wi-Fi. I have cleared off all the running applications in the task bar. I have reset. Ram I still have to check. Thank for link. Soooooo are many having issues? By doing those steps it should clear up?

Sj22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the problem with several apps. I've always closed extra apps and rebooted. It still happens. Next suggestion please!

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sj22 said:
I have the problem with several apps. I've always closed extra apps and rebooted. It still happens. Next suggestion please!

It seems that you have a RAM problem Sj. When you say you do a reboot, what do you mean? Is it a full reset, both power and home buttons pressed until the screen goes blank, still pressed until the Apple logo appears then released, or a restart which is power button only until red 'off' slider appears. Has the problem started recently, perhaps just after downloading a new app? If so delete the app and see if that clears things up. Keep us up to date.

Sj22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I hold the button until I get the red slider bar, slide Tito turn off the machine. Then I wait about 20 seconds and turn the iPad on again. I added all the apps at once when I got the iPad

Most reactions