What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keypad

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question, when I hold my finger on a letter on the keyboard for a few seconds then release it up pops all my contacts,all my apps and a load of old emails, I can understand it's perhaps a short cut but why does it bring up old emails that I thought I had deleted. Have not seen this question on here before .

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! I would reset the iPad.
Wait!
Are you talking about swiping down and getting the search function?

Type something you want to find and see. I think you have discovered the powerful Search Function.
It only happens when you swipe down, right?
Whew!
I thought it was doing it all the time!
Hahaha!
No need to restart. Just find things. Type more than one letter.

Last edited:
OP
gurkin

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No if you bring up your keypad then hold your finger on let's say the letter P then release it up pops the following, Top Hits, Contacts, Applications, Videos, Mail, Search Web, Search Wikipedia, now all that pops up if you scroll down also all the mail that pops up are old emails that have been deleted.
Any idea's please

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where do you bring up your keyboard? Homescreen, Safari, a file...?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No if you bring up your keypad then hold your finger on let's say the letter P then release it up pops the following, Top Hits, Contacts, Applications, Videos, Mail, Search Web, Search Wikipedia, now all that pops up if you scroll down also all the mail that pops up are old emails that have been deleted. Any idea's please

I do think Chinajon may be on the money here.....are you on your home screen? If you put your finger in the middle of the screen and pull down slightly the Search feature at the top is revealed and the keyboard will appear. I've just tried it and long pressed the P.....a list of my apps, contacts, music, notes and emails etc will then show. You don't even have to long press the letter to have this happen.....the Search feature is anticipating what you are going to type, hence the list.

I'll include a couple of screen shots, the first shows the Search feature at the top, the second is when I press the P. Let us know if this is what you are experiencing.

image-3846977835.jpg

image-4116811035.jpg

OP
gurkin

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello , yes that's it, what I cannot understand is where do all the emails come from dating back to last year and they are ones that I deleted a long time ago can you help with that please.

OP
gurkin

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again I think I have the answer they are emails I have saved in a folder.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello again I think I have the answer they are emails I have saved in a folder.

Well that's great that you've solved this! And thanks for letting us know! Enjoy!!

This Search feature is all about what is on your iPad now......sometimes apps etc are hard to find when you have a lot of them and this is a quick way of finding them.

OP
gurkin

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Leelai always nice to get a reply from the experts what would we do without you.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Leelai always nice to get a reply from the experts what would we do without you.

Thank you but it wasn't me, it was Chinajon who realised what your issue was. ;)

And as for being an expert, I'm afraid I'm not but I've learnt most of what I do know on this Forum from all our other knowledgeable members....it's just nice to share it around! :).

electra2008

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow that is amazing the keyboard hold down. Also Did not realise that middle of page pulls it down I have always gone to the top and sometimes not get right. Thanks

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that is amazing the keyboard hold down. Also Did not realise that middle of page pulls it down I have always gone to the top and sometimes not get right. Thanks

You can pull the Search feature down from anywhere on the screen really......and you don't need to hold down the key on the keyboard just tap any letter and it will bring up a corresponding list.

It's always gratifying to know that our threads do go on to help others!

Thank you for posting!!

Most reactions

Latest posts