What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keypad issue

Kare4k9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! When I am typing and hitting the keyboard with the same amount of force,some keys don't respond and I end up with missing letters. Does anyone else have this problem? It happened once before and eventually went away,but I was wondering if there is something I can do to fix it myself. Thank you. Kare

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The touchscreen does not recognize force, only surface contact area. Make sure you are contacting near the center of the key and using the pad/flesh of your finger, not your fingernail, when you tap the key.

Surface, as opposed to force, is why styluses for the iPad are thick and soft as opposed to hard and pointy. This is the nature of a capacitive touch screen.

I would not hurt to restart the iPad, if you have not done so recently. That should reset the sensitivity if it's drifted for some reason.

OP
K

Kare4k9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback. I did turn my iPad off,but with no luck. This problem is frustrating as I am not doing anything differently,yet the problem persists. It takes me forever to type out a post. Even the space bar is doing it now. It is testing my patience! Thanks again for responding.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You may want to consider having your iPad checked out at an Apple store. If it turns out to be a hardware problem, it will be replaced or repaired at no charge if the warranty hasn't expired or you purchased the AppleCare+ plan. If you do take your iPad in to be checked, back it up first, that way if Apple replaces it, you can set up the replacement from the backup you made.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback. I did turn my iPad off,but with no luck. This problem is frustrating as I am not doing anything differently,yet the problem persists. It takes me forever to type out a post. Even the space bar is doing it now. It is testing my patience! Thanks again for responding.

Try a reset of your iPad and see if this makes a difference.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. Let us know how you go.

OP
K

Kare4k9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all. I did reboot my iPad and it did improve the situation,but not completely. Then,I switched back to an older stylus and that did the trick! The one I had been using was a little more expensive,but the tip is made of a mesh material and is supposed to be more durable. It worked fine for awhile,but for some reason,started giving me that trouble,so I 'm back to using my old rubber tipped ones. Can't believe it was something so simple. Thanks again for your help!

Most reactions

Latest posts