What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keynote or OS 4.2 Update?

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
This post actually applies to more than just Keynote, but that is what caused me to ask the question:

Apparently (from perhaps a small number of reviewers) Keynote doesn't work as advertised after OS 4.2. For such an expensive ($9.99 - expensive?) ap, you would think that Apple would want to protect its reputation. Does anyone know of any updates to these aps (or the OS itself) that may be in the works?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you running the latest version? I don't have Keynote, but it says that v1.3 will work with iOS 4.2.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I noticed something in those lines. I haven't upgraded to OS 4.2 yet because my host computer is in a repair shop somewhere far away. When I opened Pages yesterday a popup message told me there was an upgrade available for it that will install itself when I update the iPad to 4.2. Keynote and Numbers would probably follow the same pattern.

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Thanks for the inputs guys. I was reluctant to buy Keynote because of the issues I heard about. Given the positive points made here, I think it is worth the $10 price.

P.S. I just bought another iPad yesterday for the wife and I don't know what OS it has on it. I am sort of hoping it still has 3.2.2 on it, so I/she would have the choice of whether to upgrade it to 4.2.

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Well, that wasn't as smart a plan as I had expected it would be!
When I started up the new iPad it was indeed filled with 3.2.2 (that was good I thought), then it informed me that the valuable aps I had hoped would transfer over (iAnnontate, Pages, Keynote, et al) did not transfer because the iPad needed a new software version (i.e., OS 4.2). So I was forced to update the new iPad with 4.2.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, that wasn't as smart a plan as I had expected it would be!
When I started up the new iPad it was indeed filled with 3.2.2 (that was good I thought), then it informed me that the valuable aps I had hoped would transfer over (iAnnontate, Pages, Keynote, et al) did not transfer because the iPad needed a new software version (i.e., OS 4.2). So I was forced to update the new iPad with 4.2.

Once updated to iOS 4.2 there should be an update when you open keynote and it takes you to app store to update. I use pages and I've had no problems at all with it since the iOS 4.2 update, it really does make switching back to the app a breeze as it doesn't have to restart itself, I'll assume keynote will be the same!

iOS 4.2 will really make your iPad faster, especially when it comes to browsing websites.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup works fine with 4.2, but then I didn't read about any problems :)

Carll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup works fine with 4.2, but then I didn't read about any problems :)

To be homest I too had not heard of any problems.
I purchased it specifically to do a presentation for a new job ( which I am waiting to hear about!) it performed faultlessly, and was much more usable that getting a laptop out; no plugging in cables or lugging around 100kg of " portable PC!".

I created most of the presentation in open office, before exporting it into PowerPoint format. The import produced a few errors, but it tells you at the start what these are so you can look for them first and fix them, though most were really not problems, things like the iPad had its own version of the font aerial.

Carl.

Most reactions

Latest posts