Keynote App presentation to USB "Thumbstick"???

Discussion in 'iPad for Business and Education' started by anonaboat, Jan 25, 2012.

1. anonaboat

anonaboat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I view you folks as being the online version of the Apple Store Genius Bar so here goes... Is there a way to load one of my presentations made using my iPad2 Keynote App onto a USB "thumbstick?" My goal is to be able to sent sticks to various clients. I prefer the sticks over CDs because I already have a gross of them with my company logo. PS: I running my iTunes on an XP computer. Thanks. BJ

2. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I'm afraid that's not possible with a stock iPad. The only thing you can use is the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) and that is designed to only transfer photos.

If you want to use the iPad to access the USB stick for files, you'll have to jail break. Then, you can use a tweak called iFile to load up the USB stick.

If you wish to remain stock, I think you can use cloud storage, or e-mail, to get those Keynote presentations to a personal computer so you can then put them on a USB stick. But, I don't have Keynote, so I am unsure. Sorry.

Marilyn

3. anonaboat

anonaboat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hummm...now that I think about it...if I go the iPad-Cloud-to-PC-to-USB stick route will the end user be able to view the presentation without Keynote??? Ah, the mysteries of the techno-world. BJ

4. Kricke

Kricke
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Keynote on the iPad is capable of exporting its presentations to PowerPoint, PDF and keynote file format.

5. lkilgore

lkilgore
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've set up DropBox on my iPad and on my desktops/laptops. It is very easy to share Keynote and/or Powerpoints now.

6. davidalan99

davidalan99
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yes, using DropBox is one of the easier ways to moves files from a Mac / PC to an iPad and then back again. Using the public folder in DropBox even lets you send out an email with a file specific link (automatically generated by DropBox) so everyone can get the file directly open it and save it to their system. However since it is a Keynote file on the iPad, you can try and save it to iTunes then download it from their and make the copies on your PC or do it via iCloud and the web. Open up a .me (dot me) address and open up an iCloud account. Since keynote is already iCloud compatible, if not the upgrade is free, the file will automatically save to the cloud (you must be using IOS 5, if not upgrade it's free). On the web go to www.icloud.com and sign in. Go to the documents section and the sub section for Keynote and you will see you file. Open it from their and save it to your stick and away you go.

7. anonaboat

anonaboat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm going to try the DROPBOX solution first. I now have "DB" on both my iPad and PC. Now, how do I tell my pad to save the Keynote doc to DB? Probably REALLY simple...but I'm stumped! BJ

8. lkilgore

lkilgore
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've been experimenting with Keynote and Dropbox. I don't see any way to save a file from Keynote into Dropbox. It is not one of the options available in Keynote. You can save into iCloud, so it shouldn't be hard to save to Dropbox, but Apple will need to modify Keynote.

9. Kricke

Kricke
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    When you want to save a keynote presentation you can select "WebDAV". (at least this is what I see in my German keynote.) And with a service like dropdav (DropDAV: Home) you can directly save to dropbox.

Hope this helps.

Knut

10. anonaboat

anonaboat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hummmm....I'm going to muck with the Dropbox avenue for awhile....but, I see myself doing the Cloud thing by day's end. I haven't set up Cloud on my "pad" and PC yet but it's got to be Apple simple! Thanks folks for all you help. BJ