What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keychain- What website's passwords saved? IPad 2

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does Keychain save passwords for only Safari browser websites or for those of other apps too? Thanks. There are some apps, as banking, in which I never save passwords.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While iCloud Keychain can by used by third party apps and browsers, the developer must add that capability. It's not automatic. You'll have to check the update notes on the app's App Store page, or ask the developer if in doubt.

Thanks for that link, SciFan. The relevant bit is all the way at the end, but it was informative reading. Something I'd been meaning to look up.

OP
B

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I should have been clearer. When Safari saves passwords it asks if it should do so for that particular website. With Keychain, are passwords automatically saved for apps without asking for this permission? If so, I'd be concerned.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keychain asks for permission. It doesn't automatically save your passwords. It will also inform you when it won't/can't save a password. It's this way in Safari, I think it will be the same in an app.

Last edited:

Judy_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the subject of Keychain, after installing the new IO7 update in the process of setting up Keychain details I inadvertently entered an incorrect telephone number (mistyped one digit). Can anyone offer a solution as to how I can put this right?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to Settings - iCloud, tap your email address there. In the next popup, scroll down to Advanced - Keychain and tap it. This will show your telephone number, and you're able to edit it.

Judy_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Joanna but I'm struggling!!!!

Ok....if I go to Settings, iCloud and click on my email address (shown by "Account"), then go to Advanced and tap it - all I see there is an option to "approve with Security Code", an on-off slider. There are no edit options.

I have Keychain turned off in Settings and tried turning it back in but it sends a verification code to the incorrect telephone number!

Help please!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Advanced you should have two options: Mail and Keychain:
image-1513379912.jpg
You have to tap Keychain to get access to your telephone number, this will appear:
image-209850014.jpg
Tap the number to edit and correct it.

Keychain has to be enabled, if you want to access it.

Last edited:

Judy_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all this Johanna....the problem was that once I'd turned off keychain! it wouldn't let me go back in as it needed verification, which was then sent by SMS. Of course it was being sent to the wrong number!....I had to go through Apple Support who sorted it by overriding the SMS bit, which then allowed me to turn on Keychain, giving me the option to edit - that hadn't been there previously. It was a catch 22 situation. Hope that all makes sense!

Johanna - I have to tell you, Apple Support struggled with telling me how to edit and I told them using your directions! What a star you are! Anyway it's done now....thank you once again.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all this Johanna....the problem was that once I'd turned off keychain! it wouldn't let me go back in as it needed verification, which was then sent by SMS. Of course it was being sent to the wrong number!....I had to go through Apple Support who sorted it by overriding the SMS bit, which then allowed me to turn on Keychain, giving me the option to edit - that hadn't been there previously. It was a catch 22 situation. Hope that all makes sense! Johanna - I have to tell you, Apple Support struggled with telling me how to edit and I told them using your directions! What a star you are! Anyway it's done now....thank you once again.
Thanks for posting back and telling us that and how your problem was solved!

Interesting to see that my advice also helped Apple Support. :D
It's a new feature. So I think they have to get familiar with all the possibilities and settings.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 bank accounts all 3 banks disallow password saving when logging in from any Apple device running the latest Os The message came up each time and there was no wayI could accidentally say yes. You choose to select the sites you wish to save passwords. Once saved when you log on from another device on the same iCloud ID. The password will be filled in. Hope that helps the OP

Most reactions

Latest posts