What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard

scott2121210

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of or have any recommendations for an alternative Keyboard to the stock keyboard on the new iPad? I have looked in the app store but not so successful in finding a keyboard which has both numbers and letters incorporated on the same keys...so if i long-press a particular key then i will get the number instead of the letter.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are many, many keyboards in the AppStore. All I can suggest is to do a search.

What I post for is to remind you that if you press and hold the number key (look like this: ".?123"), the keyboard will switch to display the numbers. Then, while still holding, if you slide your finger to the displayed number, you can select it. After a bit of practice, this method is often quicker than tapping the number key and selecting a number - especially if you only have one or two numbers to type.

Might that work? Especially since you can't replace the default keyboard on the iPad. :)

However, if it won't help, hopefully, someone else will come along and tell you of a keyboard they know of...

Marilyn

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the Apple BT keyboard months ago and, to be honest, I hardly use it on the iPad. I found that the convenience of having the full keyboard was far outweighed by the inconvenience of juggling two pieces of equipment.

As Marilyn says, with practice, the stock keyboard works well. Perhaps ios7 will include a 5-row keyboard.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Scott.... - welcome to the forum! :) By the 'stock keyboard on the iPad', do you mean the on-screen KB or the physical one offered by Apple - just not sure?

Also, you might want to tell us your particular needs (not sure why I'd want one w/ the letter-number option described?) - BUT, I've had the Apple BT KB for two years, and like Kevin, I don't use it often, however, when needed, it is indispensable: 1) On the road, the iPad is our web browser & email handler, for the latter in answering messages quickly, the BT KB is a must for us ; and 2) At home, when we have a LOT of data to enter, e.g. in our recipe program (Paprika), the KB is always used. NOW, in both situations, the iPad is propped on a stand on a table w/ the KB in front - I've occasionally 'juggled' the two on my lap, but a frustrating experience. Just my 2 cents for your consideration.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Scott.... - welcome to the forum! :) By the 'stock keyboard on the iPad', do you mean the on-screen KB or the physical one offered by Apple - just not sure?

Also, you might want to tell us your particular needs (not sure why I'd want one w/ the letter-number option described?) - BUT, I've had the Apple BT KB for two years, and like Kevin, I don't use it often, however, when needed, it is indispensable: 1) On the road, the iPad is our web browser & email handler, for the latter in answering messages quickly, the BT KB is a must for us ; and 2) At home, when we have a LOT of data to enter, e.g. in our recipe program (Paprika), the KB is always used. NOW, in both situations, the iPad is propped on a stand on a table w/ the KB in front - I've occasionally 'juggled' the two on my lap, but a frustrating experience. Just my 2 cents for your consideration.

I would probably use the BT keyboard a lot more if I didn't also carry a laptop. For $70, I think it's worth having. I am presently using it for AppleTV, but I don't see it lasting long there either, because once the initial setup is done, the supplied remote, or the Remote app, work just as well. Eventually, I think it will end up being used exclusively for a Mac mini.

It's worth considering that if you use a BT keyboard you lose some convenience when it comes to accented letters. The iPad is so easy in this regard; long press the key, wait for the available accents to pop up and slide to the one you require. I'd keep this capability and work around the missing numeral row.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

OP
S

scott2121210

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to my question. I wasn't looking for anything external like a bluetooth keyboard, more a replacement for the built-in touch keyboard. I now know that this can't be replaced...in actual fact I'm quite getting used to it. I just did not like having to switch between alpha and numeric keys and would have liked for number keys to be available alongside lettered keys.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to add this (after all, jail breaking moderator IS one of my duties :)) - but if you jail break your device, you can get a tweak called iKeywi that will allow you to have a fourth row on your keyboard. The default build for the fourth row is numbers (though the additional row is fully customizable).

So, there's that to think about.

Marilyn

OP
S

scott2121210

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to add this (after all, jail breaking moderator IS one of my duties :)) - but if you jail break your device, you can get a tweak called iKeywi that will allow you to have a fourth row on your keyboard. The default build for the fourth row is numbers (though the additional row is fully customizable).

So, there's that to think about.

Marilyn

That's interesting...now what is "jail break"?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi again Scott - as I suspected from my original post - wasn't sure about whether you were referring to the 'on-screen' KB or an external one?

As to 'jailbreaking' your device - check the forum "iPad Hacking', if interested; I'm not jailbroken, so cannot offer any advice - Dave :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Take a look at this thread here to answer this question: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

Then, this thread will help you see all the neat "stuff" you can do with a jail broken device: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=25824

Now, if you are on iOS 6.1.3, this whole discussion is useless as that iOS is not jail breakable. But, if you are on iOS 5.1.1 or any version of iOS 6 EXCEPT 6.1.3 - have a read. IMO, it's amazing what some tweaks will let you do with your iPad... :)

Marilyn

OP
S

scott2121210

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at this thread here to answer this question: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

Then, this thread will help you see all the neat "stuff" you can do with a jail broken device: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=25824

Now, if you are on iOS 6.1.3, this whole discussion is useless as that iOS is not jail breakable. But, if you are on iOS 5.1.1 or any version of iOS 6 EXCEPT 6.1.3 - have a read. IMO, it's amazing what some tweaks will let you do with your iPad... :)

Marilyn

:-( I am on iOS 6.1.3 but thank you anyway.

Most reactions

Latest posts