What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard Problem Since Upgrading to 4.2

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since upgrading to iOS 4.2, the keyboard has an annoying habit of disappearing while I am trying to use it. It only happens under certain circumstances, although I haven't worked out what the pattern is yet.

An example is typing search criteria into Google. It doesn't seem to happen when typing into a multiple line text field (e.g. typing this post) or text based application.

Does anyone know what this is all about?

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate to ask the obvious, but do you maybe a have a bluetooth keyboard paired with it, which is nearby?

Michael

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hate to ask the obvious, but do you maybe a have a bluetooth keyboard paired with it, which is nearby?

Michael

No, in fact BlueTooth is turned off altogether.

I think that I may have figured out the cause. This seems to happen when I first open iGoogle (note the "i" prefix), while the various panels on the page are updating. Perhaps the text box looses focus every time a panel completes updating.

I am sure that this didn't happen before I updated to iOS 4.2.

tonidale

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My keyboard is doing the same thing since the update. Very irritating;) I don't have to be on google, it happens everywhere...

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My keyboard is doing the same thing since the update. Very irritating;) I don't have to be on google, it happens everywhere...

It IS very frustrating, I am surprised that there are not more complaints.

Do you get the problem only on Web pages (i.e. when using Safari) or in other apps as well?

I am reasonably convinced that it happens while typing into a text box while a web page is still being populated, hence my guess that it is due to loss of focus by the text box. After the page (iGoogle in my case) is fully populated, the problem seems to stop.

I am quite sure that the problem is associated with the upgrade to iOS 4.2.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue. I was at first assuming one of my fingers was pressing an area on the screen away from the keyboard, but that is not the case.

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having same hide and seek issue with the keyboard. A fix coming. Since my last problem was solved within minutes of posting, I am closing my eyes and clicking my heels

Jnclem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And another thing, I can't hear my keys clicking when I type when my screen rotation switch is engaged:) Just kidding everybody, really, just kidding.

Most reactions

Latest posts