What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

keyboard gone on 'safe mode'

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does anyone know what causes this, the keyboard losing all its letters, in safe mode? and how to get the keyboard back?

it's impossible to use the ipad in 'safe mode' when my lock password is set as an alpha-numeric string.

i have the 5-row keyboard installed, but it works perfectly after a reboot.

Attachments

• image-337345609.png
    image-337345609.png
    290.4 KB · Views: 377

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5 row had a bug with ifile and caused the keyboard to look just like that. But the keyboard worked fine everywhere but ifile. So, maybe 5 row is clashing with something else. Uninstall 5 row for now and see what happens.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, too, have a wonky looking keyboard in safe mode. I figure it's because 5-Row Keyboard is tied both into the system and into WinterBoard. So, Safe Mode shuts 1/2 of the keyboard off...

However, I don't have my iPad passworded - so I can go to Settings and remove 5-Row from the Keyboard area. Then, my keyboard is fine.

But, I can't think of a way that you can get around the necessity to enter the password. I guess the only "solution" is for you to decide which you want - 5-Row Keyboard or a password.

Oh, what if you try to add a 2d keyboard option, say the UK one? Then, you'll get the globe symbol and maybe pressing on it, in Safe Mode, will switch the keyboard over to it?

I got nothing else, sorry.

Marilyn

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or make your password just numbers, then it won't use the keyboard. But if you want to have a more secure password, make sure "simple password" is off, and then make your password any legnth of numbers. For example, my password is 5 numbers long. So the iPad uses the number pad on the lockscreen. Since your password has letters in it, the iPad uses the keyboard at the lockscreen. Does that make sense?

OP
88raymond

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for your replies. adding a keyoard (even as the first choice, with 5-row next) or changing to a more-than-4 digits password has the same effect.

i'll go with just a 4-digit password... i wouldn't know if i get to install a bad app or tweak :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry we couldn't help better.

However, I am grateful you brought this up. Since I know there's a problem with 5-Row in Safe Mode, should I ever need/want to put on the password protection, I'll definitely remember to use the simple four digit one.

Cause, it's like you said - sometimes you never know when you might go into Safe Mode. And, it would really ... be bad ... to not be able to use the keyboard.

So, thanks for bringing it up.

Marilyn

OP
88raymond

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no problem. thanks for always being there to help us out.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never thought of that "Catch-22" scenario.
Glad I haven't put a pass code, since I got that safe mode and bad keyboard at least once in 2-3 weeks.
But I love my 5 row keyboard and glad I purchased it.
Any way good to know that to be on the safe side when in safe mode - to use numbers as password

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for your replies. adding a keyoard (even as the first choice, with 5-row next) or changing to a more-than-4 digits password has the same effect.

i'll go with just a 4-digit password... i wouldn't know if i get to install a bad app or tweak :)

If you go with a more than 4 digit password, it must be all numbers or the iPad will use the keyboard. See my screenshot.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 396
OP
88raymond

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, graywolf. i tried it again and it works, using 9 digits.

Most reactions

Latest posts