1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Keyboard for native iPhone/iPod apps displaying incorrectly on Jailbroken iPad 2 Wifi

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by iPadNewby01, May 29, 2012.

1. iPadNewby01

iPadNewby01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

I have recently purchased an iPad 2 wifi and am running Jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 thanks to Pod2g. However, after installing an app which displays native iPhone /iPod apps in a higher resolution in 2x mode I have come across a problem with the keyboard I can't solve. The functionality has not gone, I can still type whatever I want. It is the display of the keyboard that is not working. I cant see which letters shoukd be where, this isnt a huge problem as I know where every letter shoukd be but it looks like garbage. I have done everything possible except completely restoring to try and fix the problem. None have worked. If anyone knows if a fix I'd be grateful.

I'll post an image but as you know I need 3 posts to do so so watch this space.

Thanks
  2. iPadNewby01

iPadNewby01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And an image

[​IMG]
  3. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    Which app is it that gives that weird keyboard? Or, what's the tweak you installed to make native iPhone apps scale better?

Marilyn
  4. iPadFever1

iPadFever1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Probably this is one of the bugs the tweak gives.
  5. iPadNewby01

iPadNewby01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your response. It's all native iPhone/iPod apps with a keyboard function except Hippo Remote whose keyboard works in a completely different way.

Joe
  6. iPadNewby01

iPadNewby01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've uninstalled all tweaks/cydia apps, cleared the cache and resprung. That was my thought as well. Am Iwrong in thinking uninstalling all my tweaks and apps would clear the bug?
  7. iPadNewby01

iPadNewby01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That includes Whatsapp, Viber, fake Carrier, Amazon, PayPal & Red Laser Classic.

The tweaks were Full Force initially then followed by retinapad
  8. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    Oh, I wonder if it's RetinaPad?

I installed RetinaPad on my iPad3 and it mucked it all up! I had to restore to stock iOS 5.1.1 and then re-jailbreak. Not fun!

I posted a thread about RetinaPad for the iPad3 (here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=77329). I thought it just affected the iPad3. In fact, a member posted that RetinaPad seemed to be working on their iPad2 with no issues. But - now I wonder if it's iOS 5.1.1 that's the culprit....

Is there anything else that doesn't work right? With mine, one thing was couldn't get Safari to stay open. I'd launch it, it'd load (but with no icons in the upper bar). Then, when I press a bookmark on the Bookmark bar, bam! Down it'd go! In addition, in the Settings app, all the highlights were black colored and my status bar was a strange color and didn't show a WiFi signal (though I was connected to the Internet). It was definitely all messed up. I uninstalled RetinaPad, restarted, resprung and rebooted (more than once) - nothing. In the end, I was forced to restore.

All of this to say - you might want to restore the iPad. Yeah, it's going be a pain. But, better that than deal with the keyboard like that. And who knows what else might be happening "under the hood."

Sorry, but that's what I recommend - and then stay away from RetinaPad! And maybe even FullForce...

Marilyn
  9. iPadNewby01

iPadNewby01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Marylin,

Thanks for your response.

I had initially installed retinapad (without Full Force) and had no problems. The keyboard was in full working order. I then read about a tweak that installed Siri so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Unfortunately it didn't agree with my iPad (stuck on boot screen) so had to do a full restore. Once restored I re-jailbroke and found Full Force which claimed full screen for native iPhone apps and then of course I wanted retinapad for the definition. It was after I installed these two tweaks in this order the problem occurred. Had I installed retinapad on its own without Full Force I'm confident the above image wouldn't of happened. Either way, I'll restore re-re-jailbreak, install retinapad without Full Force and report the outcome back here for anyone who may come across the same problem.

To answer your question: No, there are no other issues except one. On rare occasions hidden apps will show and so will Winterboard (I have the option to hide it selected). I simply click on Fast Respring or iWipe and it hides them once again. Slightly annoying but easily and quickly overcome. None of the issues above you experienced have happened to me.

Thanks again,

Joe
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  10. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    Ah. Thanks for the detailed reply. Good to know it probably isn't like my problem.

I will be interested to see how it all works for you when you get it all back together (and try RetinaPad again).

So, yes please - do keep us updated. Thanks.

Marilyn
  11. iPadNewby01

iPadNewby01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

So I restored, re-re-jailbroke and installed Retinapad without Full Force and my keyboard is back to normal. If anyone has the same issue I have had it would seem Full Force is the culprit. I'm tempted to install it again just to test but I'm steering clear until I have more time on my hands.

Thanks for your help Marilyn.

Joe
  12. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    Glad to hear you got it all sorted. And, thanks for the update. Always good to hear back on success stories.

Marilyn
  13. tonirags

tonirags iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just wanted to add that I am having the same problem and I have never installed full force! I do however use retina pad. I would hope that a simple uninstall of retina pad will solve the issue, I really don't want to have to restore and re-jailbreak!
  14. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    Unfortunately, it seems as if that may indeed be your only choice, if you wish to have a "normal" keyboard in an iPhone app. Nothing else any member has tried - short of a full restore - has worked.

Sorry, but I don't see a way out for you. Of course, if you do find one ( and believe you me, I'd love to be wrong, for your sake), could you please post back and tell us what you did to fix the problem? That way, others in the same situation may be able to learn from your method. Thanks.

Marilyn
  15. tonirags

tonirags iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tried uninstalling retina pad and I tried disabling other tweaks hoping that another one may be the cause of the problem. Nothing worked and I ended up restoring and re-jailbreaking! Sacred to reinstall retina pad though...don't want to go through that again!
  16. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    I'm beginning to think that those people that are running iOS 5.1.1, regardless of which iPad generation, would do well to stay away from these two tweaks (RetinaPad and FullForce). I've just seen too many troubles from both those apps. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Glad to see you got your iPad all sorted. Sorry, though, that it had to be via a restore...

Marilyn
  17. stratus

stratus iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am having the same issues with all 3 different iPad: iPad, iPad2, iPad3 > all running the same 5.1.1 and jailbroke with Absinthe.
    As already mentioned by other members, this was happening after I tempted to install RETINA PAD tweak. Only RETINA PAD, without combination at all with Full Force.

As already mentioned as well (sigh... I am to late to read this post..), no other way to get the "garbled" keyboard working even after uninstalling the retina pad.

I think my option left was only to restore and re-jailbreak...

Do hope someone can have nicer solution rather than restore and re-jailbreak again.
    I have read from other post:
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/77606-anyone-have-error-5-1-1-a-2.html#post573648

That someone nickname: niosama had found manual solution via iFile to fix this up.

Look forward to hear from this member to share the precious solution.

Thank you so much..
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  18. stratus

stratus iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have got the solution without restore and rejailbreak.
    Just install the updated retina pad v. 1.34 / the latest one, it should fix the keyboard.

Another think to try is changing the keyboard to any international keyboard available.
    Just look for the alternative with latin character.
  19. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    Your keys are showing that QWERT are being overprinted with YUIOP which are all the keys off the top row of a standard keyboard, is one of your apps allowing a split keyboard to increase letter size??
  20. stratus

stratus iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No. This is just regular iPhone apps.