What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard disappearing... And some other stuff

Supreme.Mugwump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, just got an iPad today and am extremely disappointed do far. The problems are:

* when trying to use a chat site the on screen keyboard disappears every 2 seconds when I'm typing. I have a feeling this may be something to do with the fact that the site is constantly loading... But aren't all chat sites?

* flash does work... But we knew that

* my phone apps don't copy across to the iPad, eg you can see a little version of them, but the data in them doesn't copy across

* I can't make applications I have added move onto the first screen

I'm about ready to pack it up again and sell it to someone. :-( can someone help, particularly with the keyboard and apps issue?

Oh also does anyone know what apps to get for ms word processing?

Ta

Staminaman62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got Doc2 HD for word processing and I would highly recommend it. I ordered a wireless keyboard when I ordered my IPad and I have been very pleased with how it works. I have never had a laptop but I have taken my IPad and the wireless keyboard with me on a couple of business trips and it has worked very well (in addition to all the other uses - videos, email, music, Internet, etc).

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to assist you with your concerns if I may. I'll address each one in the order you've listed:

a. Download "IM+" and "Friendly for Facebook" apps for IRC. They are both free. You'll love them.

b. I think you meant to say that flash doesn't work. If it's flash video that you want to see, download "Skyfire for iPad" for 4.99.

c. Some developers allow your data to transfer from iPhone/iPod touch to iPad, by creating an account on the smaller device and signing in with your user name and password. Tap Tap Revenge is one example.

d. Press and hold the application for a second; then move your finger to the edge of the screen (left or right) and hold until screen shifts to the preceding or proceeding page, which happens within a second or two. It takes a little practice, but is easy to master within a few tries. The other way is to organize your apps through iTunes when your ipad is synced with it.

e. Download "Pages" for 9.99. Compatible with MS word.

Optional: Download "iDisk" for free. Sign up for a free 3 mo. trial of MobileMe, or pay for a year's subscription for $99 ($69 at the Apple store if your purchase was made within 14 days). Mobile is not required to make documents, but makes it easier to sync data to and from PC's and Macs wirelessly over an internet connection.

Optional: Get a Dropbox account for free. Download "Dropbox" for iPad. Sign up for a free trial of "DropDAV" to seamlessly import export between MobileMe and Dropbox.

Let the forum know if you still have questions, or need help. :)

OP
S

Supreme.Mugwump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah thanks! And yes I did mean "doesn't". Pages looks like what I want - will that allow me to go between iPad and ms word on my pc with the same document? I got doc2 and friendly for fb - thanks. I think some of that other stuff eg dropbox sounds way over m head for now! Re: flash its just random little things like mortgage calculators or char sites that don't work. re: the keyboard, surely there is a way of using the virtual keyboard? I don't want to buy one.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. Pages will allow you to go back and forth (import/export) from .doc to Pages, and vice versa, whether it be direct sync, wireless sync, or email.

If you happen to be near an Apple store, I'd recommend taking a free 1 hour iPad workshop, or get a free personal setup. There is no appointment required for the personal setup, however, an appt is required to attend the workshops. Visit Apple and type "stores" in the search box in the upper right corner. Click on "retail stores", and enter your zip code. A map will populate with Apple stores in your area. Click on the store of your choice, and view the schedule of workshops/events; click on the workshop you wish to attend. That's where I go to get Apple knowledge! If you cannot make it into an Apple store, visit the following URLs>

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/pages.html

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mobileme/

That should get ya going in the right direction :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts