What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

keeps crashing to homescreen

mbz88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just got my ipad 2 in the mail today and everytime i try typing something, or going into an app, it goes straight to the homescreen right away

i cant type more than 5 letters before it crashes to the homescreen. ive done a hard reset, ive turned it off and on, and it still does it. any ideas? i have the latest update so it cant be that. please help

Reaction score
Have you tried closing all open apps?
Double tap the home button, press any app that shows up along the bottom of the screen until a "-" shows in the corner of the apps. Tap the "-" on the apps. It will close them.
I use Xsysinfo app to do the work for me closing apps

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

OP
M

mbz88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i havent even been able to open any apps because anytime i try to do anything it just goes right back to the homescreen

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just got my ipad 2 in the mail today and everytime i try typing something, or going into an app, it goes straight to the homescreen right away

i cant type more than 5 letters before it crashes to the homescreen. ive done a hard reset, ive turned it off and on, and it still does it. any ideas? i have the latest update so it cant be that. please help

Just to be clear, you say you can't type more than 5 letters before it crashes to the Homescreen. What app are you in when you're typing those 5 letters? It's just because you also say that when you go to an app it crashes straight to the Homescreen, but I can't see how you can be typing if you're not already in an app.

Did you manage to perform the initial sync with iTunes on your PC? Did that work OK?

Anyway, don't panic, let us know and we'll try our best to help.

Tim

OP
M

mbz88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well if i try to type in my email address, or anything that requires keyboard use, it will crash to the homescreen

ive been trying to sync my email, or try to set up mobileme, and anything i do crashes within seconds

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well if i try to type in my email address, or anything that requires keyboard use, it will crash to the homescreen

ive been trying to sync my email, or try to set up mobileme, and anything i do crashes within seconds

OK - you say you're trying to type in your email address but in an earlier response you said you're unable to open any apps. So I'm trying to understand, if you can't open any apps, why are you typing in your email address? Normally you might have to be, say, in the 'Settings' app or the 'Mail' app to want to type in your email address.

As I said, we'll try our best to help.

Tim

OP
M

mbz88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok. basically anytime i need to type something in, it crashes to the homescreen. ive opened the game center and tried typing something in and it crashes to the homescreen. i tried to type in my email address to sync my gmail account and it crashes. typing in my friends phone number or information to facetime and it crashed to the homescreen. the more i play with it, im starting to think it might be a hardware issue and that something is loose near the home button. because if i touch the bottom too hard where im required to type, its like i tapped the home button. im trying to give u as much info i can to help u help me

OP
M

mbz88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
im almost 100% its a hardware issue now. if i touch the bottom of the actual ipad, even if its very lightly or having it sitting straight up on my lap, it goes to the home screen. now my new question would be if i didnt buy applecare, can i walk into an apple store and get it fixed? i literally just got it in the mail today from apple.com

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - let's try something different.

Can you open the iPad's native Notes app?

If you don't type anything, does that app open and stay open?

OK - let me assume that it does....

What happens now if you try to type a note - or anything. The screen only needs to be touched very lightly - there's no need for any physical pressure. Does that app crash?

Try a couple of the other apps too - say Calendar? Does it open OK? If you don't type, does it crash or stay open?

Tim

OP
M

mbz88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it stays open when i hold the ipad a certain way, and i have to VERY lightly touch the keys to type without it crashing. ive realized its a hardware issue. anytime i touch the actual ipad near the bottom it goes to the home screen

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - it does sound like a hardware issue now so I'd go to an Apple Store. It doesn't matter that you haven't purchased Apple Care as it's under warranty and they'll swap it right away for a new one. But it might be worth calling in advance to check they have one in stock.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this trouble - please don't dispair - it's not a typical situation and we hear very few reports of faulty iPads. Let us know how you get on at the Apple Store and if you need any further help don't hesitate to let us know.

Tim

MissButter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - it does sound like a hardware issue now so I'd go to an Apple Store. It doesn't matter that you haven't purchased Apple Care as it's under warranty and they'll swap it right away for a new one. But it might be worth calling in advance to check they have one in stock.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this trouble - please don't dispair - it's not a typical situation and we hear very few reports of faulty iPads. Let us know how you get on at the Apple Store and if you need any further help don't hesitate to let us know.

Tim

I'm just wondering whether I might be having the same problem the previous poster was having: my magazine apps (specifically, The New Yorker and Vanity Fair) close automatically after a few seconds of my opening/launching them. Other apps seem to be okay. I've turned my iPad2 off and then on again -- the problem persists.

Would you guess that this, too, is a hardware problem?

Many thanks.

bmiller19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this same problem and following the advice provided in the forum, I deleted the New Yorker app and reinstalled it. Now it is working fine.

chloec0901

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem now...when i open apps it automatically goes back to home screen...pls help...

Most reactions

Latest posts