What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keep iPad on with map app

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway to keep iPad on with the maps app??

In the field sometimes I need the maps app on longer than my 2min auto off feature. I also wonder if using as a gps if there is a way to keep the iPad on for just that app..

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Well, for the built-in Maps app, I dont think that is possible unless you change the settings for the 2-min auto off.

I use MotionX GPS HD and have had it run for a good 15 mins where the screen only dims, it doesn't shut off.

I plan on using it for Geocaching, and I have MotionX GPS Drive HD for door to door directions.

I think, provided you are moving, that it keeps the screen on because the maps are moving. I am, however, making an assumption.

Last edited:

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can change the length of time anytime you want,

in Settings--->General---->AutoLock.

2,5,10,15 min, or never.

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I can change the auto lock time. I would hate to be in my truck and someone calls me over so there I am gone for an hour and the iPad is on showing a web page for the weather.

But if out driving running the map app I wouldn't like to have to touch it every two minutes to just keep it on. Same goes for my iPhone.

I'll look into navigation apps and see what I find

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Look into MotionX GPS Drive HD, then. $2.99 and it allows you to choose different maps as well as to download map areas to your iPad so no internet connection will be required. I have the 3 main cities I am in downloaded with route maps between and it takes up less than 10 mb for the street maps.

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I need maps of middle of nowhere areas. That's why I like googles sat views. You can see roads that the vehicle gps doesn't acknowledge as a road. Often I'll import my gps track log into google earth, see my route, then import back onto gps as a user created road. Often I use my iPhone sat view to find paths to where I need to go too.

Nicholas76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.fashionshoppings.com
Well I need maps of middle of nowhere areas. That's why I like googles sat views. You can see roads that the vehicle gps doesn't acknowledge as a road. Often I'll import my gps track log into google earth, see my route, then import back onto gps as a user created road. Often I use my iPhone sat view to find paths to where I need to go too.
good suggestions, I'm going to try it. Thanks! :)

Most reactions