What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just starting

patrick7007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anyone using Numbers? As a Windows SS user I am really struggling with just the basic use of Numbers. Any suggestions?

Pat

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you opened and worked your way through the Tap to Get Started with Numbers document? That may help quite a bit. The biggest differences are the touch interface and how tables are added and arranged. Other than that the basic spreadsheet capabilities are all there.

For more advanced help tap on the wrench icon (with a document open) and chose Go to Help. This opens in Safari, so you'll need an internet connection. You can quickly move back and forth between the help in Safari and Numbers by double tapping on the Home button and selecting the other app.

I also found it useful to create a few documents from the templates and just play around with them.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I don't use Numbers a lot, but I've played enough to have a general idea of how to make things happen.

Last edited:

Terry_nyorks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Sorry to be negative, but numbers generates a file incompatible with excel, sorry a problem if you want to send files to the wider world. Possibly there is an output as xls, but I needed immediate production so I went straight away to neo-office (on my MacBook) which has compatible outputs to excel etc.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised - is this problem with some specific aspect of Numbers? I move files back and forth between Excel 2007 and Numbers several times a day and have never experience any problems at all. I accept that a complex Excel document can cause Numbers to 'struggle' but, the other way around, I've never had the slightest problem.

I'd be interested to know the particular issue you found - so that I can avoid it and save myself a load of trouble.

Thanks for your comment

Tim
Scotland

Terry_nyorks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Thanks Tim. You hit my weak point, in that I got out of numbers quickly as I needed to produce something, at the time. However, in the light of your e-mail I certainly went back today (at Macbook level) and converted back and forth between numbers and excel formats.

However, taking a fairly standard model, for me, using some excel (neo-office) features, I got conversion failure report on several features:

* Print area isn't supported and was removed

* Print setting for row and column titles aren't supported and were removed

* Form controls such as check boxes and scroll bars were removed

* Data validation isn't supported and was removed. The cell values were retained

* Pop up menus in cells weren't imported. The cell values were retained.

* Sorting criteria were removed

* Unsupported border styles were mapped to solid borders.

Also, another factor. In taking over files from someone else (a leaver) in my organisation, I got hundreds of numbers (and pages) files. Unfortunately, I can't recirculate without conversion (time and effort), to others of the many members! Not a good situation, hence working to a standard of xls (and doc).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts