What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Returned My Ipad-2!?

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Do you suppose the much bigger metal body of the iPad, vs a phone, helps the antenna? ATT phone service at my house is non existent whereas the iPad and the Kindle I had consistently have 4-5 bars of usable service.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

It shouldn't make a difference. The iPad back cover is not part of the antenna.

You know the black Apple logo on the back? That's where the wifi antenna is located and the logo is not made of metal, so it doesn't shield the wifi antenna. As for the 3g circuitry, it's located in the left upper corner (iPad 2), on iPad 1, it's in the right upper corner. But again the 3g antenna isn't part of the cover. The iPad provides enough space for these to be seperated. Whereas with the iPhone, Apple tried to integrate the antenna's into the case, to save space inside the phone and to not obstruct the antenna with other phone parts, with limited success.

For some more reading and lot's of exiting shots:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Wi-Fi-Teardown/2183/3

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm old enough to remember attaching a piece if foil to the rabbit ears helped with TV and radio reception but since there is a gap that theory is out

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm old enough to remember attaching a piece if foil to the rabbit ears helped with TV and radio reception but since there is a gap that theory is out

Inc

I'm old enough to remember that myself ;-)

We have both ATT and Verizon phones in our corporate work accounts. The ATT option was originally just so users had the iPhone option but the service was so bad it was almost unusable at times. Now that you can get a VZ iPhone that problem is solved.

Now, I have an ATT ipad2 and the cell service works just fine on that (I have never had a problem with my Kindles either)

southpaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RGeo said:
Got it! I got my new Ipad2 sooner that I anticipated. As I said in the original post. I placed an order online with Apple on the 5th. I had a ship date of the 19th. Well, my lovely wife stopped by our local Apple store regarding her MacBookP on Tues the 10th. While there, she inquired about Ipad stock, just out of curiosity. They told her that a few At&t 3g models were received, but sold by 10am. However, because she's a "business owner-client" if one came in they'd hold one, and call/email her when it was there?! Well, thats what happened - she got a call on yesterday, the 12th. Needless to say, I canceled the online order - and now I can officially say, Im the proud owner of the Great, Fantastic, Awesome Ipad 2. :D:D:D

Congrats! Sounds as if your wife *did* understand, after all.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts