What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Ordered My First iPad

asimmd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gang

Well I have done it now,I just ordered it from Apple Online,delivery in 10 day's,
hopefully it may be before then.

Went for the 64Gig as recommended by most on here.

I didn't order any extras,are there any must have's I should get?

Alan

LesleyAnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I ordered mine it said 1 - 2 weeks for delivery. Mine arrived two days later. So hopefully it might not be such a long wait as you think.

The only must I would say would be something to protect the back of your iPad. The silvery backs are lovely on apple devices but they scratch super easily even when just resting them on a desk/table.

I started out with a smart cover, back case, Bluetooth keyboard and dock. I also bought a screen protector but didn't know if I would use it, just wanted it just in case. After the first time my youngest nephew put his sticky fingers near my screen I opted to try the protector to see if it affected my resolution. There had been a lot of reports of loosing a lot of the advantages of the new screen if you install a protector. I was glad to see mine went easily with no degeneration of screen quality I could see.

It's all personal preference TBH. As I've owned Apple iPods I knew the back was easily scratched up so I knew I wanted protection for it and something to cover the screen when not in use. I also wanted a dock of some kind for when I was charging my iPad so it wasn't lying flat on my desk/table. I opted for the keyboard because I am a touch typist and even though I find the on-screen keyboard easy to use for speed, accuracy and larger blocks of text I am better off with an actual physical keyboard. Everything else I've tried has been spurned by necessity, like the screen protector and now the stands I have since bought.

There is a lot of choice out there and it's just a matter of finding something that suits your needs and requirements. For me my Incipio Smart Feather Case/Smart Cover combination is just perfect and I can charge in my iPad dock without removing anything from the device unlike with a regular case/cover.

Just think about want you want to use your iPad for and there is a lot of choice out there and probably something that will suit you just fine. Just a matter of finding it. I went through 2 other back cases before hitting pay-dirt with the Incipio case, it was thin enough to fit my iPad in the dock without removing it and it doesn't disturb my screen protector unlike the others. Also it's feather light, hence the name.

I'm sure you'll have fun with your new iPad.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Congrats Alan! Just as LesleyAnn said, it's pretty much personal preference. I also second the idea of a screen protector. I actually use the Zagg HD protector for the front and back and I don't notice any difference in the resolution of touch capabilities of my screen. I do have a few cases but it seems that my go-to case, depending on what I'm doing is the Smart Cover and the Incipio SmartFeather. This combo seems to work great without adding bulk and size to your new addiction. I have a few other cases too and do change them out based on where I'm traveling etc. And depending on your needs and how you will use your iPad, will justify your accessories. I do a lot of note taking/writing on my iPad so a stylus is a must-have for me - my favorite is the iFaraday RxII. Good luck on your quest and hope you receive your iPad very soon!

OP
A

asimmd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone,they are very useful.

I am a musician,and I will be getting a device called an Alesis IO Dock
just as soon as they come up with a fix for the new iPad,so I guess the covers
are a temporary item as my iPad will spend a lot of time in the Dock.

I have looked on Amazon,and I am surprised how little the accessories cost,so I will
be investing in a front and rear cover,and possibly a stylus.

My main App will of course be Garageband,I can't wait to have a go at that.

Thanks again

Alan

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
asimmd said:
Thanks for the replies everyone,they are very useful.

I am a musician,and I will be getting a device called an Alesis IO Dock
just as soon as they come up with a fix for the new iPad,so I guess the covers
are a temporary item as my iPad will spend a lot of time in the Dock.

I have looked on Amazon,and I am surprised how little the accessories cost,so I will
be investing in a front and rear cover,and possibly a stylus.

My main App will of course be Garageband,I can't wait to have a go at that.

Thanks again

Alan

As a musician you might want to get an iPad holder that connects to a mic stand.

Also, Behringer have some great docks for the iPad, might be worth looking at those.

The Archangel

OP
A

asimmd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a musician you might want to get an iPad holder that connects to a mic stand.

Also, Behringer have some great docks for the iPad, might be worth looking at those.

The Archangel

Thanks for the info,I wasn't aware Behringer did anything like that.

I will go and have a look.

Looks very much like the Alesis,but again it is not for the New iPad,it
only mentions iPad 1&2

Alan

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts