What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just new to forum - about to buy my iPad 2

iCan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys

Well - this forum is fantastic - eyes are sore from staying up late and reading through lots of things

I'm an Android phone user and am getting a tablet. My mum and dad both have android tablets....mum loves playing her flash games etc...and browsing the net - basically thats it. Dad likes developing and customisation so his android tablet suits him just fine.

Me on the other hand - well always been a bit of a basher of apple - did have an ipod when they first came out - really old looking now lol... but never got the ipod (came close to it), nor iphone. Instead I got HTC Desire on 2 year contract last july so still a year to go. I've been meaning to get a tablet for ages but have been unbelivably busy at work so haven't had the time to research etc. The last week or so I've been researching and although I do like my android phone...I would much prefer to get an apple ipad rather than honeycomb android as I'm a big app user and don't believe apps for android tablets are as advanced as I'd like. I may even decide to get the new iphone next year when my contracts up if I like my ipad2 (which I'm sure I will)..

Anyway - I do have a few questions and thought this is definitely the best place to ask - especially as I'll be using this forum a lot when I get my new ipad2 (I use the android forums alot too for my phone).... I can't remember all my questions but here goes...

1. I'm going to buy my ipad2 in the U.S in 10 days (going off on hols)....I'm a bit confused about activation etc... I'm buying the 32gb 3g AT&T version - now I know that local sims are compatible so I'm ok with that - but I'm confused about activation. I've read I need to get it activated in the states in order for the 3g to work in the U.K (have heard mixed comments about this but I want to use it in the states anyway) .... If I get it activated in the states while I'm there (apple guys doing it) will I have problems with using a UK itunes account - is it best to get my itunes accountt in UK before I go?? (I actually think I have one - needa check)... Will I also be able to use it in the states on wifi before I go home? If someone could clear that up for me or give me some simple, easy steps??

Ok that was my main question...I did have others but they have went from my head...but I know I can come back and ask you fine people :D

iCan

funtoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am firm india and got my ipad2 from ebay, US Version GSM and I was able to activate it fine in India, so you should be fine with it

Regards

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the previous poster suggested, there's no need to activate the 3G in the US. Make sure you get the AT&T model as you mention. When you calculate the price saving from purchasing in the US, remember to take into account the VAT and Import Duty you'll be required to pay at the airport when you return. It can make those US prices look less attractive.

Tim

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey fellow Android user, I also have an Android phone (but I don't think I'm as happy with it as you are with yours). My brother wants an Android tablet and I'm like you - I don't like Honeycomb on tablets. I think it looks horrible. I also think apps are superior on iPads and iPhones.

I actually used to think iPads seemed like such a waste of money, but I've changed my tune. I realized it can replace a lot of things - a netbook, a TV (the one in my bedroom has no tv channels and plays DVDs, but it's dying), an ereader, and even my phone when I'm at home. I'm about to buy an iPad, too - and I'm also getting an iPhone when my contract is up (in April :mad:). Anyway, welcome!

funtoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to personalize your tablet go for HC, if you want better apps go for ipad

I have both and I enjoy both

Cheers

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk

OP
iCan

iCan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the previous poster suggested, there's no need to activate the 3G in the US. Make sure you get the AT&T model as you mention. When you calculate the price saving from purchasing in the US, remember to take into account the VAT and Import Duty you'll be required to pay at the airport when you return. It can make those US prices look less attractive.

Tim

Yeh I've taken NYC Sales Tax, VAT and so on into account - still make a saving, albeit small but still a saving....just happens to coincide with a trip to New York so I'm gonna go for it...

So no problems on the activation front then - that means no problems with iTunes and that then?

I get everything about 3g WiFi etc but only ever having a really old ipod back in the day, I'm just a bit unsure of iTunes and activation....I want to use it while I'm in america so obviously it needs activated - can that be done through a UK iTunes account that I may already have?

Sorry for all the questions - Apple newbie here (bar that really old ipod from when they first came out lol)...

My Sony Vaoi laptop is broke and it's getting sent off to be fixed but I graduate next year and I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a Macbook as a little treat for myself...Apple is beginning to win me over... oh and I'm definitely getting the iPhone 5 when my contract runs out..

Again sorry for all the dopey questions....:eek:

OP
iCan

iCan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I'm bit stupid - I just realised I will be flying into Ireland - not UK .... lol ... now I need to figure out the costs.... anyone know.....omg how stupid lol!! duhh!!

Most reactions

Latest posts